1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beer, dammit!

Discussion in 'It's All Fun and Games' started by FossilHead, Mar 28, 2016.

1. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Gosh, I do love beer! :coffee:

I have been enjoying suds since I was not even legal to imbibe :whistling:

My first beer, ever, was an Old Milwaukee, which was the brand I drank from about age 13 to age 17 mainly because it was cheap..... and guess what? I tried one again about 20 years later and still enjoyed the taste! IMHO, a very underrated domestic, and reminds me of the now-defunct Schlitz.

By the time I was 17 years old, my favorite beer was Michelob......and then I joined the military and was able to go to on-base bars and get a nice selection of DRAFT beer! OMG!!!!

By the ripe old age of 18, I was stationed in Germany......OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was like every street corner of every little city had a brewery! My favorite over there was Augsburger Alte-Weitzen, although I sampled LOTS of others, including the dopplebocks, which I enjoyed.
    (A couple of one-liter mugs of those, and you were dancing on the table in the beer fest tents!!)
    But when I came back home after I finished my time in service, the beer over here was like watered-down hog's piss.

I tried many different offerings over the ensuing years, always chasing that bitter wheatiniess from my fave German offerings: no dice!
    Miller Genuine Draft had a bit of a bite, but I wasn't "on" it long. Same for the other cheap stuff I was forced to drink when I was strapped for cash: Keystone, Coors Lite, Busch, Natural Light, and later on, even Michelob Light. (My taste buds could never abide fecking Budweiser, but to each their own!)
    Even the "good" beer (Guiness, Becks, and various domestic ambers like Michelob's) were never satisfactory.

I enjoyed Killian's Irish Red for a bit, but didn't find it a real "drinking beer" , at least for me. Ran into that scenario numerous times with various beer.

I really enjoy Yuengling's Traditional Lager, now, and have been drinking it for some years.
    I guess I'd have to say that it is my favorite "mass produced" domestic.

Recently I have developed a taste for various IPA's, which I HATED when I first drank them. I enjoy Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, but have fallen in love with Dogfish Head's 61 (made with Syrah grape must) , and even more recently with their Romantic Chemistry (made with mangos, apricots and ginger). It is far more a "drinkable" beer than the 61 was, and even though it has only been out for half a minute, it is already competing for awards!

Check out the ongoing Beer Madness 2016, where they are down to their final four.
    For the Northeast, Dogfish Head's Romantic Chemistry was in the final 8, but got beaten-out by Maine Beer Company’s Another One IPA.

Competing with Another One IPA (Northeast) for the title will be Duck-Rabbit's Milk Stout (South); Jester King’s Black Metal Imperial Stout (Midwest); and, Avery Brewing Company’s Liliko’i Kepolo (West).

Check out the latest update, here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...first-round-of-the-blind-tasting-competition/

Also hope you'll comment with your own beverage choices/experience, and suggestions for "You gotta try this!" offerings! :sunglasses:

MrSpock, Party, Kitsune and 1 other person like this.
  2. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

I used to like IPA when I drank. But when I was a youth I used to drink a German beer by the name of Lauwenbrau (I think this is how its spelled?). Me and my mates called it laughing brew, it was strong stuff and we used to drink this from the ripe old age of 14. Ahhh, those were the days......

MrSpock, Kitsune and FossilHead like this.
  3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Darn those German breweries!
    Löwenbräu is a brewery in Munich, and I surely drank my share , and enjoyed it.

They were like one of the heavyweights, over here.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  4. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

Yeah, now you know that the Reinheitsgebot stands for quality ;)

FossilHead and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

I do enjoy my Killian's as a standard. Bud light if I have to, but can't really stand any other mass market beer.

I do like Yeungling, that's good. Sam Adams light is a good drinking beer.

One of the worst tasting but most potent was one I tried as a youth, called Steel Reserve. Tastes like the devil's own piss, and just as strong. Blah!

Found a liking for Mead. Tasty, and definitely will creep up on you if not careful.

6. Party

Party Well-Known Member

I'm on Miller Lite now. Years ago I loved Strohs, fire brewed in Detriot, they sold out to Old Style and moved production to Wisconsin. They make great cheese but beer, not so much.

FossilHead and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  7. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Oouuuu a thread on beer! Pity I am off the booze now haha. It has to be Belgian tripples for me. I used to love drinking so many different types of beers, but Belgian ones were the best. Leffe, Hoegaarden, and Delerium Tremmles. A lot of the German beers are good but can often taste the same after a while. Of course, Ireland does have Guinness, Smithwicks, Kilkenny, Beamish and Murphy's to name but a few. We are also making a lot of nice Irish pale ales too. There is a company called O'Haras that do really good varieties of beer.

Blonde, pale, ale, Indian pale ale, tripples, dark beer, light beer, foamy beer, honey beer..... :)

Cheap pissey lager though? Nah, it was always a hassle drinking that crap. Maybe on a hangover when you wanted something like water.

FossilHead, Party and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  8. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

Despite being Austrian, I really hate beer. I frequently get shit stormed for that, but I am staying with my rum here :D

Kitsune, FossilHead and Party like this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Yep!
    Pretty telling when beer is so important that there is a set of rules and regulations that govern production on a national basis.

Would like to try a bunch of those!
    Well, except maybe the Delerium Tremmles........sounds too much like delirium tremens, lol :eek:

Party likes this.
  10. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Party likes this.