1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burtso's super sexy fitness log.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by BurtMeister3000, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Been meaning to do one of these for a while, but never got around to it. Anyway, here I will be logging my weekly/daily fitness routines or attempts....

Exercise

So for the last few days, I have been trying to get over a horrid cold/lurgy type thing and it has been a bit of a struggle to get going, but I kicked myself in the ass and got out there anyway. Starting Wednesday, I attempted to get back into training by doing a bit 10 minutes of skipping, an hour of bag work and a little bit of shadow boxing. I also did about 30 pushups and 50 fast (explosive) deep squats as auxiliary training later that night. I also did a few minutes horse stance.

Yesterday, I did around 50 pushups on my knuckles for conditioning, in two sets. I did 50 side to sides with my 4kg medicine ball with legs elevated (these hit your core big time!) and 10 minutes shadow boxing. I then went for a good hour training session with about 20 minutes dedicated to skipping and the 40 to bag work (heavy bag and floor to ceiling ball). I also did 50 fast deep squats and a few minutes horse stance, but my legs were knackered from the squats yesterday/today.

Today I had an hour and a half or so session on the bags, with about 20/3o minutes skipping in seperate intervals and I haven't done any squats or sit ups, may let my quads recover as they're aching quite a bit. I also seemed to breath a lot clearer today after a long session, but this chesty throat lurgy doesn't seem to have yet passed.

Diet

This area is under construction. I have been a little easy on myself when it comes to diet, mostly I won't eat until around lunch time or later, so I get a mini fast in with not eating throughout the night and I feel like I have better training sessions when I exercise during this period before I eat. Maybe the lack of food adds aggression so I can smash those punch bags harder?

Anyway, I haven't had any smoothies for a good while, I need to get back on these! Also I have been eating a fair amount of sweets and junk food, but fortunately my metabolism remains high, so I tend to burn off most of the calories I consume. The most healthy things I have been eating is Subway sandwiches on a dinner time, so I really need to get my healthy diet back on track, but for me fitness has always come before diet.

Mebs, Party, MrSpock and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Wow pretty good workout Burt. Looks like you have your workout set up spot on. It was a lot of the stuff we did when I trained boxing. Diet will probably be quite important for maintaing this intensity? I always found if my diet was't spot on I would start feeling too fatigued after these kind of intense routines. A protein shake a day did wonders.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

Did another 50 quick squats before bed with around half hour of meditation after I updated last night. Legs aren't aching as much as they were yesterday, body is adapting.

Yeah, diet is definitely important, I think I can still see improvements without getting diet right, but just not as fast. Also I recover faster when my diet is on point. This level of activity is easy at present as I haven't had a great deal of work, so have been able to focus on exercising more. The biggest pain is trying to stay on top of my fitness after I'm physically and mentally spanked after a days work.

4. BurtMeister3000

This is essentially what I do with the side to side exercise with the medicine ball, but I do it a lot faster for the explosiveness.

I also bash myself with the ball around my abdomen, this might seem a little silly to some, but it gets you breathing right and increases your ability to minimise the effect of your opponents offence whilst being able to counter effectively. It also has a an effect on your mind/will power, being able to get hit and keep your focus + keep moving forward is an important part of training in not just boxing, but many martial styles.

MrSpock likes this.
  5. BurtMeister3000

Sunday I did a bit a long session, around 1 hour 30 mins, but it didn't feel as good as the previous days, the workout felt a little more forced than flowing. I think sometimes you're head has to be in the right place and you have to be properly relaxed in order to be on your game. So to the workout....

Exercise

Did around 30 minutes of skipping, 10 or so to warm up and then got on the floor to ceiling bag and then the heavy bag to keep the different muscle groups warm and to keep my brain engaged on the different exercises. Probably did similar times on the heavy bag and floor to ceiling, but my energy levels and ability to get my full power into my shots didn't seem like it was quite there. The two days previous where I did long sessions probably contributed as did my no longer being a spring chicken, but thankfully my goat like stubbornness helps me refuse to give in to things like fatigue or common sense. However I did have Monday off so I did get some rest in the end.

I also did 50 fast squats and 50 fast side to sides with the medicine ball, as well as a little shadow boxing with and without 1kg weights, but no pushups.

Will be going training again today, which I will update a little later.

MrSpock likes this.
  6. BurtMeister3000

Okay, so I got my ass in gear after having about three days of relative inactivity on the fitness front. Today I did around an hour of hitting the bags and skipping. It felt like it had been too long since my last session and my cardio had started the cycle of decline, but I was tired due to crappy sleep so this could have been a contributor.

I also did 50 quick squats and I did another 10 squats whilst I carried my Mrs on my shoulders like a fireman. I did 50 pushup too on my knuckles for wrist and hand conditioning and did some weighted shadow boxing and some un-weighted.

Forgot to add I did 20 pushups with my 5 year old son on my back yesterday.

MrSpock and FossilHead like this.
  7. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

The amount of exercise you do is impressive burt. 1 hour of punching bag and bag work sounds very tiring.
    Is there a chance doing too much for two - three days in a row could end up disgusting and exhausting you ?
    As for diet , I found huge salads make it quick and easy to eat plenty vegetables. Add brewer's yeast to it and it's delicious . Eggs are also an easy way out. I eat yoghurt and oat flakes in the morning (does not cost much and helps fill one's stomach).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    MrSpock and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  8. BurtMeister3000

It is certainly possible I do too much sometimes, but I love it. I think my body will adapt to the increased work load, but giving myself sufficient rest time hasn't always been my strong suit.

My diet has been a little crappy and i am going to be sorting it out in the coming weeks, so that should help with recovery times and muscle repair.

Lifeapprentice and FossilHead like this.
  9. BurtMeister3000

Little bit lax in the training today. Did a little shadow boxing, some side to sides with my medicine ball and 50 squats. No real boxing today, didn't have time, but I did fast for most of the day and when I eventually ate this evening, I ate lots of salad and chicken, so pretty clean.

Will have to get a good session in tomorrow on the bags.

FossilHead likes this.
  10. BurtMeister3000

Okay, so a little disappointing on the fitness front, didn't get a chance to go beat my bags, as I ended up going and watching the new Captain America film, which was awesome! I did manage to do a little Shaolin horse stance training and my legs feel like they are getting stronger. I also practised meditation last night for around 30 mins and will do the same tonight.

FossilHead likes this.