1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burtso's super sexy fitness log.

Discussion in 'Journals' started by BurtMeister3000, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Okay, so for the last month I felt like I have had some virus that has been clinging to my vocal chords and in my head and chest, and it has been sapping my energy. So today I decided to go box, because it has been ages and I figured I could try and shake this lurgy and I'm glad I did because I felt like I've cleared my chest and I just feel a more positive sense of well being.

So anyway to my workout, I did 10 to 15 minutes of skipping, about 15 minutes on the floor to ceiling ball and about 45/60 minutes on the heavy bag. The heavy bag is probably the part of the training that got rid of the crud on my chest as it gets your lungs working. Also feeling a little more spring in my step, as recently my wrists and ankles have been aching, despite no bag work, but today they feel great after the workout.

Even though I have not been working out as usual on the bags etc, I have been doing stance training, namely the Shaolin horse stance. Balance feels better after doing this, my legs feel stronger, more stable and my upper body feels more fluid and empty of tension. I've decided to include a video or two of a guy demonstrating the exercise, its a bit long, but he touches on some important points I feel. It looks a little pointless, but the benefits to this simple (but hard!) exercise are numerous. About 7 minutes in he gets to the horse stance and important hand positions.

Here is another shorter one..

FossilHead likes this.
  2. BurtMeister3000

Okay, haven't updated for a little while, but I did do a workout Sunday. It went okay, but I didn't feel as energetic until toward the end of the session, but I felt like I did find my rhythm once again and I was smashing the bags like nobodies business, but I did feel like I had more breaks than usual. What seemed to help more than anything was tightening up the bungee chord on my floor to ceiling bag, I got the proper recoil on it and it was this that seemed to help my rhythm and timing more than anything and this also seemed to translate into power on the heavy bag. Probably did an hour and a half in total, sweated like crazy and felt all around great towards the end of it. Felt like I could have carried on, but thought it best to finish when I did.

Had a little train just, but it was chucking it down and hard to get a footing when you wanna let loose on the bags. I did get a little out of breath before I got completely soaked, but nothing to write home about. Also I have been practising the horse stance everyday as well as doing meditation most days.

FossilHead likes this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

So, went boxing yesterday after having a few days of smashing the bags, but still have been doing horse stance and shadow boxing when not going for a full session. As well I have been practising meditation daily.

So today, I probably spent an hour and 20 mins or so on training, 20 mins skipping 30 mins heavy bag and 30 mins floor to ceiling bag. it was really warm here so I was sweating like I was in a sauna. It was a reasonably good workout, even though my legs didn't feel quite as strong as they have been and I think this was due to servicing the Mrs the night before, but it was a good session nonetheless.

Also I have been doing a variation of shadow boxing similar to Karate Kata, with dynamic tension to create a little antagonistic tension in the muscles and to aim to use the whole body for each movement whilst focusing on breathing. I like this exercise better than weight lifting, as I feel it not only strengthens your body, but does so in a more balance way than weight lifting or callisthenics does. Since the dynamic tension engages (for example) both bicep and tricep, both will develop (at the same rate) strength equal to each other and so doing this with the entire body should help straighten out ones body, posture and increase overall strength and help unlock the power of the whole body and mind working together.

MrSpock, FossilHead and Party like this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

Been for a bit of a training session but had to cut it short as I had to go pick up my boy. Did around 40 minutes of boxing and skipping, didn't feel too great on the floor to ceiling today, but absolutely wanging the punches in on the heavy bag. Feel like the horse stance is adding to my power, as well as making me more stable.

Did around 3/4 minutes horse stance, with a little dynamic tension/stretches whilst holding the position. Feeling awesome from it!

Might try and get another session in later if I can. But either way I'll do a bit more at home as well as some meditation.

5. BurtMeister3000

Went for a training session today, but it was anything but good. Had a crap night sleep last night and went out for a massive Chinese meal, which felt like it was sitting on my stomach whilst I was trying to get my workout in. I suppose even though I felt knackered before I started exercising, I did at least get my ass out there and work up a bit of a sweat. I also went for a couple of mile walk and took my mothers dogs and walked the legs of my son too. Pollen is most definitely in the air as my spidey sense (algeries) have told me. Probably did 30 minutes bags and skipping combined, as well as a little shadow boxing.

Hopefully tonight I will get better rest and have a better session tomorrow.

6. BurtMeister3000

So I have been doing bits of training this last week, I haven't been very well so I haven't trained nearly as often as I would have liked, but I got out there today and had a wicked session! I feel like I am on the mend.

Anyway, my session today consisted of me doing about 15 minutes skipping and probably an hour and 15 mins on the bags, I should have done a little more skipping and shadow boxing, but I did loads on the heavy bag and floor to ceiling, when I did my little warm down blast on the rope again at the end, I felt properly cooked. Was getting out of breath a little easier, but I have had a bad chest and the lack of exercise this week probably contributed too.

Was really hot and I was really sweaty. I felt like my power shots were knocking the wind out of the heavy bag. Found my mojo! Just need to work on getting my breathing right and working on my endurance.

7. Master-gauge

Master-gauge Well-Known Member

No worries Burty.. That is the mark of a true athlete, training when feeling a little like :poop:.. Just shows your grit!!

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  8. BurtMeister3000

9. BurtMeister3000

Forgot to update yesterday. Went boxing, did around an hour and a half. With about 40 mins heavy bag, 20 floor to ceiling and 30 skipping + shadow boxing.

Didn't feel quite as good as the previous session, but this might be because I was recovering last one and compared to previous it felt great. It was a good session all in all and it got better towards the end. Gonna need some new gloves again soon, as I've started knocking the stuffing out of them again or its migrating away from the knuckles.

10. BurtMeister3000

Went training again, only did an hour today because it was so hot, I was sweating buckets. So around 20 minutes skipping, 20 minutes floor to ceiling and 20 mins heavy bag. Definitely need some new gloves as my hands were hurting a bit today even though I was well wrapped. Still, it was a good session and I'm glad I got my behind out there!