1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Burty's boxing corner

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, Feb 18, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

So any boxing fans out there? Or practitioners??

I like to have a go when I can, its one of the best exercises for finding your limits and learning your limits and learning to push past them.

So here I thought I would make a thread to discuss all things boxing.

Lifeapprentice, FossilHead and Mebs like this.
  2. BurtMeister3000

Shadow boxing - one of the most underrated aspects of boxing I feel, but very important. I found this wicked video of this guy shadow boxing and doing a workout without equipment to be very motivational. I had trouble finding it again, but I just did and here it is...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

My dad was a former boxer of some local renown, so I was raised watching boxing on TV with him and learning all about it from a young age.

Miss those days, sitting and watching Howard Cosell when I was a kid, on up to Friday Night Fights in later years!

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

They don't broadcast those Friday night fights over here, there used to be way more boxing and MMA on UK TV, but not so much now. Every now and then they show some domestic fights and late night catchups from the US, but here I have to watch it all on Youtube.

Mebs likes this.
  5. BurtMeister3000

I don't know whether anyone noticed in the vid, the guy doesn't get full extension on his punches when he's shadow boxing, he just stays loose and throws fast to engage those fast twitch fibres, but I try and do both, but with more emphasis on the shorter range warm up first.

Need to rig me up one of those slip ropes to duck under whilst moving backwards and forwards whilst throwing combos and rig up one of those maize bags you always saw Iron Mike training with. Great for getting you to move your head. That spinning exercise is good too, whilst it looks simple and silly, you can get a little dizzy when opponents circle you for ages whilst trying to take your head off.

Mebs likes this.
  6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

When I was training in boxing I found it very difficult to do the head bobbing and weaving etc, all the defensive work was tricky because I learnt certain techniques from Muay Thai where you don't really use those techniques as much because it leaves you open to knees or kicks to the head!

Shadow boxing is also pretty difficult to get into. Feels strange hitting thin air. I got to try mentally train to get into the mindset for it.

7. BurtMeister3000

It can do, but if you watch Anderson Sliva, he doesn't get hit with a great deal of shots and has great head movement! And I believe his primary style is Muay Thai, but looks like he incorporated that from boxing.

Shadow boxing can seem a little uncomfortable in the gym I suppose if you don't practice it a great deal, best get used to it on your own and when you have started to build a good range of combos and counters, you can begin to start applying them in combat. It can work for Muay Thai too I believe and is one of my favourite training methods simply because its simple and you can do it anywhere. Great for when someone has got the better of you to go over there techniques and drill counters to them until you have perfected them. That way you'll be a step ahead next time.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Mebs likes this.
  8. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Is there any chance you have video suggestions to learn the basics of boxing (e.g. know how to give a punch)? Shadow boxing should be quite the cardio work out too.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  9. BurtMeister3000

There are several on youtube. I quite like watching this guys vids...

Lifeapprentice likes this.
  10. seikatsu

seikatsu Active Member

Hahaha, can never practice aikido by myself. you need someone to practice the art with. Never tried boxing, too much effort. hahahaha.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.