1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Burty's boxing corner

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, Feb 18, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Aikido is my favourite martial art, I used to practice on my own too, but you do need an Uke at some point and to be one to practice your break falls. Boxing is more competitive which was not Ueshiba's intention for Aikido, even though Kenji Tomiki developed his style into just that. I studied in the Shin shin toitsu do style (Koichi Tohei) or Ki aikido until the school burned down.

I have written an article on Aikido I will be posting on the front of the site and have a pre made thread ready for it to be linked to. Keep your eyes open for it in the near future.

Lifeapprentice and Mebs like this.
  2. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Thanks burpmaster.
    I'm sure I can improve my cardio, speed and ability to punch on my own.
    As for really learning what boxing as a sport is, sure... :holdit:

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.
  3. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

A few major tips: keep your guard up (fists up to protect your face).

When you punch,always turn your hip into each punch. This will feel awkward at first,but it increases your punching power by 100%.

Learn the basic few punches first. Jab,cross,hook and uppercut. Then combine them in different patterns.

Exhale after each punch is thrown.

Remember to breath throughout.

4. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Cool thanks for the tips.

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.
  5. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Look up some of the videos online on YouTube. If you get a punchbag,make sure you get wraps for your hands as you will fuck them up otherwise. You have to condition your knuckles and wrist from the impact of punching. It will feel weird and sore starting out so take it easy. Try aim for technique over everything to start out with.

6. BurtMeister3000

Yep, getting your breathing right is very important, even after training as long as I have I can forget if I haven't trained in ages. Exhaling when you apply your technique can help you get that bit more power into your shots, it can help when absorbing shots as well!

Making noise whilst you throw can be a reminder to breath correctly and can have a negative psychological effect on your opponent. Most boxers exhale through their nose, as opening you mouth when shots are coming your way can break your jaw, since this is the magic spot they are generally targeting. Also helps gather your focus.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Lifeapprentice and Mebs like this.
  7. BurtMeister3000

So, who will be watching Carl Frampton vs Scott Quigg tomorrow?

A little annoyed it will be on Sky, as they usually show the domestic stuff on channel five over here, but I suppose they both hold world titles so I think it will be a good one!

Frampton I thought would be smaller, but on the scales he looked well hydrated and strong, Scott Quigg looked slightly drained. I still think Frampton will need to bring it and put on a better performance than he did in his last fight against Gonzalez (which he nearly lost). Frampton in my opinion is definitely the better boxer, but Quigg has showed he has some power in his hands and is the taller fighter. Quigg took out former two time challenger to Frampton (who went the distance twice) Kiko Mrtinez in two I believe in his last fight.

Personally, I would like to see Frampton win, but I think the fight weight will play a part. If Quigg gets to his body early, he could limit Carl's ability to move around the ring and possibly take him out. It sure is an exciting fight!

Also in other news, I hear the cancellation of the Thurman/Porter fight in the US, due to Thurman being in a car accident. I was looking forward to this fight, as Thurman got hurt to the body in his last fight against Luis Collazo, despite stopping him and Porter is a tough, strong guy who likes to punch to the body.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  8. BurtMeister3000

A highlight of Julian "The Hawk" Jackson. This man had dynamite in his hands!

FossilHead likes this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

One.......Bad.......Dude

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  10. BurtMeister3000

Oh yeah! Wouldn't like to be on the end of one of those.

Here is a good tip video for hand speed and getting power into your shots from a few inches away from the target.