1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Burty's boxing corner

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, Feb 18, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Upcoming fight for Amir Khan as he jumps up two weight classes to take on the dangerous red haired Mexican Saul (Canelo) Alvarez on May 7th in Vegas. This is a dangerous fight for Khan, as he has been knocked out twice by hard hitters and Canelo definitely fits into this category despite coming off a unanimous decision win with Miguel Cotto in his last fight. Canelo's only loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr and his impressive fight record, with a very good KO %, even though he still is a relatively young fighter make this a big risk for Khan who has been away from the ring for considerably longer than his younger competitor.

Khans speed could prove trouble for Canelo, but he will have to sustain it for 12 rounds I feel and avoid his clever adversary's powerful punches which few have been able to do thus far. On a good note for Khan, he has shown improvement since teaming up with trainer Virgil Hunter, but he will have to fight his instinct to punch with Canelo and box him instead.

FossilHead likes this.
  2. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yeah will be a good fight possibly. I have been very disapointed with most big boxing fights I have watched in the past year or so.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

Yeah, same. Khan's last few performances (except Algeri) have been like a calm snooker match, very calculated, calm and he didn't get drawn in to brawling to much, which suits him. His ex trainer Freddy Roach says "he needs to box a perfect fight in order to win this one".

4. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yeah... Ufc is way more interesting 9/10 for me. Too much fannying about in boxing.

5. BurtMeister3000

I like UFC, but I get bored when you get two guys of the same level of skill who go to the ground and just don't move. That's not to say I don't like watching the fights that go to the ground. Caro Parisien vs Matt the terror Serra was awesome! They countered each other with great skill.

6. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

There's a couple of names I hadn't heard in a half a minute!

7. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Gunner Nelson and Damian Maia was great and it was all on the ground too.. if it is two very skilled guys it can be very interesting

8. BurtMeister3000

I liked watching Matt Hughes. He had some freakish strength!

Mebs likes this.
  9. BurtMeister3000

Tonight's the night for Canelo vs Khan and even though Khan is moving up in weight, he actually looked the bigger on the scales. I think he is most definitely the faster fighter, but Canelo is strong, powerful and clever. This should be a good one!

10. BurtMeister3000

Congratulations Anthony "Million Dollar" Crolla for his win over dangerous Ismael Barroso. For anyone interested here is the fight...

MrSpock likes this.