1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cob and Straw Houses

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by BurtMeister3000, May 1, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

I think a few on here know of my desire to build one of these one day. Just simply building your own house is an adventure, but building one directly from the earth, that doesn't follow the square shaped conventional houses is a dream of mine. Any one else out there share such a dream?

MrSpock, Mebs and FossilHead like this.
  2. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Yes, I do wish that you'd build me a fancy hobbit hole, Burty! :rolleyes:

(After first reading The Hobbit all those years ago, I have always had a sense that this kind of home would have several advantages over the normal square, 4-walls-and-a-roof style.....)

MrSpock and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

I think it may require a few hands to cut down the time a bit and even then it is labour intensive, but I reckon by the end of it you'd be more attached to that lump of mud than most would to their pile of bricks.

FossilHead likes this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

I think Ideally I would start small, like with one of these pizza ovens and work my way up to a shed, before really going for it and building a structure I would live in.

MrSpock likes this.
  5. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

That is cool. Myself and Corvid have read up about this over the years and saw a lot of DIY documentaries of living off the grid etc. These cob houses are a great idea. It is a wonder that more people are just doing this type of stuff themselves. It seems so much easier than conventional houses and there is something really unique about them.

Corvid, MrSpock and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  6. BurtMeister3000

Yep, I think they are brilliant. They seem to have good thermal retention properties, fire retardant so I believe. I saw one Youtube clip where they have done tests on them on an earthquake simulator and they seemed to do pretty good. Personally I like the way you can customize them to more or less your imagination, there are some awesome looking creations out there. The only trouble seems to come from planning permission. I could understand if this was applied in the event you were renting out the house, but if its for your own shelter, it seems like a human rights violation to stop someone.

Mebs likes this.
  7. BurtMeister3000

This house looks awesome, its a combination of stone and cob, I want one!

MrSpock likes this.
  8. BurtMeister3000

Anyone seen those earth ships? This is a bit of a long one, but they are cool as hell! (or hot as hell as the case may be?) Anyway, they are completely self contained, they use their roofs to capture your water supply, which is recycled about 4 times and it grows your food supply too. One day when I retreat from society and become a self sufficient wild man, I will make my nest in something like one of these.

Corvid, MrSpock and FossilHead like this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I have had thoughts of "going off the grid" any number of times over the years.
    My S.O. is not at quite the level of self-sufficiency that I believe that I am, and has no interest in it.

In fact, she would like to move to a more urban area.

I, on the other hand, picture myself living in the far northwest, far from civilization, and moving southward only as far as is required to survive the winter prior to moving back north.

Anyone know a young, hot Inuit woman who'd like to adopt a horny 94 year old man........?!

MrSpock and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  10. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

BTW, it would be appreciated if she had an ass like the one on johnnylong229's avatar.......

BurtMeister3000 likes this.