1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cob and Straw Houses

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by BurtMeister3000, May 1, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

You and me both!

Western civilisation is alright with all its conveniences, but the people annoy me and there are too many of them. I think living in the wild, living off the land would be true freedom!

FossilHead likes this.
  2. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Yeah, the gov and the planning crowd don't like off grid, cheap homes. I reckon they see them as a threat to the status quo, the economy, even the country itself.

The Western model involves spending a few years too many in school, going to college and amassing some debt, getting a job, getting married, paying bills, getting a mortgage that permanently binds you into the workforce until retirement age. Now, imagine that you had no mortgage or a short term one, no bills and grid connections, grew your own food, and built your own home outside of the realm of golden handshakes ( bankers, debt and house taxation, water taxation, waste system taxation, planning authorities, architects, engineers, utility providers etc.)

Imagine that thousands of people started doing it. Your country has lost a significant chunk of the workforce, because these people no longer have to work long hours. Tax revenue is down from multiple sources. People have more free time to self educate, organise, protest, challenge the current system (many people can't do this due to work, tiredness, and lack of free time). These people are also outside of government and financial control. You can't threaten them by cutting off their water, heat and electricity. They can't be easily poisoned/subdued by toxic mass produced food. They don't need much money, so the economy and any threats and fear relative to it can fuck off. Often, people of this mindset consume less, so it's bad for economic growth and VAT/sales tax.

Here, it seems, the only way the government really want you building efficient homes is if you play by their rules and spend more on the build than the cost of a conventional house. You have to have an electrical grid connection and you have to register with "Irish Water" and connect with them even if you have you own water source, such as rain water harvesting or a well. Other countries such as Spain are taxing solar panels heavily, some US states are doing it too. There's a partial ban on building a home outside of urbanised areas in Ireland.

The conclusion I came to was that it's better to push out far to some country or area where the government aren't really aware of or monitoring people who want to build their own off grid homes. In a Western country, you'll have to register with the gov one way or the other, and over time they'll either tax you into oblivion, prosecute you for meaningless shit, or hit you with planning/coding violations. The architect who originally designed and conceived Earthships lost his practicing license for years for building off grid homes in the desert.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. BurtMeister3000

Yep, I heard that about the guy who invented earthships. All his architect buddies called him a "disgrace", so I think he invented his own term called "biotechture" as it goes by more natural, self sufficient means of housing.

Completely agree with everything you have said about this, just being about control. It seems kinda of weird that they can (and have) used code violations to infringe upon the human right to shelter. I hear some people in the states have had their lawns dug up because they have been growing food on it and it violates code and I watched a video a little while back where a guy was in the middle of nowhere and received these code violations because he was self sufficient. Apparently it was an old church where they shot parts of the film Kill Bill and his nearest neighbours were around 100 mile away.

Personally, I think this is the only form of communism that I agree can work - literally commune-ism. Small groups of tribes if you will that function together, support each other and trade with other tribes/communes/groups. They could still tax this system, but it wouldn't be nowhere near as lucrative as the current model. This would be the way to go truly green too, if you didn't have to travel miles to work in your car, run around and be a busy body paying bills and had everything you need on your doorstep, there would be massively less pollution.

I wonder when was the exact point, when human's traded living in smaller groups for living as a collective industrialised nation. I imagine it started with kings and queens, maybe around the time of king John and we exported this model worldwide? I think in places like France, you have a better chance of living this lifestyle, as you only have to apply to the town mayor and they make sure its okay with all the residents, I don't think there is the same interference with the government. I did see a few that have been built over there, one was on Grand Designs, but here is a different one....

MrSpock, Corvid and FossilHead like this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

This was a cool (but longish) earthship build in Australia. Makes me wanna build one!

Corvid likes this.
  5. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Man, I love watching Earthship build videos. So satisfying.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Ahhh, great thread idea BurtMeister3000 ! Will definitely look at those videos when I have more time. Has anyone considered putting the proper steps into play to get a cob house up and running?

7. BurtMeister3000

No steps yet to build one. I do think I will go the route of building smaller constructions to get the technique down before I attempt a house. I fancy a go at that thatching too.

8. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

There have been a few builds in galway where members of the general public have been invited to help out in return for food. That'd be one of the best ways to learn how and to meet people who might help on a build.

9. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yeah, there are normally a lot of schemes going on where people go to help out a particular individual or party with their labour and they learn the methods along the way. I know two guys that would have a lot of the skills required to set one up fairly nifty already! Personally, I would be hopeless, but would love to learn. It would be something that would interest me, going over to help folk out.

10. BurtMeister3000

Yep, I have heard this, that people just volunteer to help with the builds and in return they learn how to build a house. A good trade I think and fun too!

Mebs likes this.