1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer skills

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by Mebs, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

I know we have a talented and clever bunch on our hands,but how are all of your computer skills? Technical stuff,coding,site building,MS etc? Do we have any luddites amongst us?

2. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Back in the days of MS-DOS, I was a fecking guru! (And hated Windows-based OS's, lol)
    All these years on, family members and people I work with still find me handy to have around, but I know that my skills be slipping, and that I am not keeping up with new tech like I used to.......

The tech aspect is surely a positive thing for our forum, and much appreciated! (Go, Spock!)

3. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

Oh, I fudge my way through the middle ground, I think. Can make sense of most of it if I can sit with it for a few. Once it makes sense, and fits together, then I can work with it.

Like I said before, my tech knowledge is pretty much, "I'm with ya, I'm with ya, I'm...okay, ya lost me." :D

BurtMeister3000, FossilHead and Mebs like this.
  4. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Haha the fox is modest! His computer skills are pretty friggin good! He has a very good knack at adapting and learning new computer things and is awesome at putting design together. He made the site all pretty!

I am trying to up-skill myself in the computer department. I would be good at MS Word and Powerpoint, have a very basic knowledge of Excel, would have worked as a CMS admin before and have a little knowledge in WordPress and stuff. However, I am TERRIBLE at technical computer lingo!!!! I know how to do things, but when I start hearing computer terminology I get lost very quickly!

How are people's social media skills? Anyone have ideas for The Plan of Attack's social media for example? Anyone see anything we are doing right or wrong so far? We have managed to get a lot of Twitter followers but not many Facebook likes. Twitter seems to be easier to "spread the word" so to speak. Is there any way we can get up the Facebook likes without having to pay out for advertising there?

Speaking of which, do you guys like Kitsune's own created meme: https://twitter.com/GrowingCore/status/705169848364568576

5. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Emm, reasonably well versed up to a point. Give me a box of computer bits and I'll build you a computer, install an OS and drivers on it. Give me a faulty computer, I'll probably be able to fix it or come up with a workaround. Upgrade a computer – I know what bits fit and what doesn't, RAM speed and size, processor and graphics card slots, what's good and what isn't, how to make a computer faster etc. I can fix phones too, change screens, internal batteries, speakers, cables, and so on.

Software wise – I have used a few OS's, DOS, Windows from 95 to Windows7, MAC OSX, Ubuntu. I can install any of those, partition them, set up a dual boot system. Basics of coding and I understand how networks and the technology involved works, but I've never had to write code for them. I reckon I could figure it out if I had to. Am using Android now, not impressed. The Apple mobile OS's just work better. Pity about the DRM restrictions.
    I'm trained in AutoCad and ProE, so I can do 2D and 3D drawings for machine parts or whatever. You can make a 3D drawing now and get it printed out on a 3D printer, how cool is that? That was called rapid prototyping a few years ago.
    Microsoft Office, Excel spreadsheets and software models, Powerpoint (HA!).

Programming — I know how to write code in ladder logic for Programmable Logic Controllers, and Siemens Simatic Step 7, which are both about giving automated machines in factories instructions. I can design a system, hardware and software, to run a small factory, or a certain group of processes in a larger factory.

Internet — I know how to find information on anything, how to download media, how to make a basic website, how to get stripped OS's, a few different ways of getting a signal (Power over Ethernet, Bluetooth Tethering, WiFi hotspots, a bit of Line of Sight tech) :Arr:

One of the best resources I have computer wise is that I have a few friends that understand coding, hardware and programming very well. They explain anything I ask them, help out or point me in the right direction if I'm stuck. Am not big on standard coding and programming, never really needed it. Either a friend knew, or I found a workaround.

So there you go Mebs, do I get the job?
    And N*S*A*, am I considered a threat yet? :cool:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Hahahahaha, wow that is awesome! I didn't know the extent of your computer knowledge! Very impressive man. Pretty cool that you have a load of computer wise friends, handy to pick up information in that area. Some people are just totally lost when it comes to computers, and people our age and all.

BurtMeister3000 and Corvid like this.
  7. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Haha, when would it ever come up? There's an old tradesmans trick about not being in the habit of talking openly about your skills, especially around women – ever had your GF "volunteer" you to fix other people's stuff free of charge? And you go there and whatever you're meant to fix is good and screwed because some non thinking ape or two tried to fix it before you and gave up?! And you've been talked up as some kind of expert and you're left there with your hands hanging trying to explain why they need to call a professional? And somehow, the word "useless" creeps into the conversation or is overheard..?! If not, remember this. It will happen eventually.
    (GF: Mebs, come quick, my Aunt is having an existential crisis at her house in the f*ck arse of nowhere!
    Mebs: Shit....)

You're right and it's shocking, many people our age have a limited grasp on technology. Suppose they were never all that interested or never had to learn. I find that talking about technical things openly can make them feel intimidated. Then, on the other hand, I know a tech genius. He built a Broadband Service Provider with his own two hands, built and installed the base stations and antennae, set up all the software to make all the parts talk to each other, even programmed the automated phone system for his office and did all that without going into debt. His company is debt free. He hasn't got a big head about any of it, but when he talks about computers and systems, I shut up and listen.

Mebs, BurtMeister3000 and Kitsune like this.
  8. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

Damn, Corvid! Excellent!

And that's why...
    :holdit:

Ha! Great putting up the Kan-yarr, Mebs. Gave myself a good chuckle on that one.

I'd love to be a bit more proficient at coding. I get the basic structure, but wow, so many things to remember/format/rules.
    I do like tinkering a bit, and have learned quite a bit in the past few months. Poke it until it breaks. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Mebs, BurtMeister3000 and Corvid like this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Er mehr Gerd!!
    Dersh wers mer in ernother lerfterm!

Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technician (EEET)

Sometimes I do miss programming those old Allen-Bradley PLC's and PanelViews!!
    (My first love was motor drives, tho!)

and before that I was a EW/SIGINT analyst.......and that was for damn sure another lifetime, lol

10. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Pretty impressive guys. I have been having fun learning about digital stuff lately. Particularly the artforms of social media! All of the different analytics tools are great,Twitter,Facebook and Google analytics.

Corvid and Kitsune like this.