1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Conor McGregor

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by Mebs, Feb 11, 2016.

1. lilbigman

lilbigman Well-Known Member

Definitely some good fights! Watching it I thought McGregor was manhandling Diaz in the first round and halfway through the second, but then you could see him peter out and he started dropping his hands and became a punching bag for Diaz. I knew at that point it was over. Like I said in an earlier post Diaz can take a hit and has crazy cardio. I think I even mentioned that he may have to pull out a submission to win this one. ;)

BurtMeister3000, FossilHead and Mebs like this.
  2. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Haha ah McGregor was rocked. Diaz would have beaten him standing,that is why McGregor tried for the takedown. Very silly trying to bring it to the ground with Diaz!

Very curious to see how McGregor bounces back now.

3. lilbigman

Well looks like you will get your wish Mebs. McGregor vs. Diaz 2 is slated for UFC 200. And to top it off McGregor wants the fight at 170 again rather than making Diaz come down to his weight class. Should be interesting! McGregor has a chance at redemption and to prove he can beat Diaz at his weight. However Diaz will have the luxury of a full camp to prepare rather then the 2 week notice he had last time. I don't know what to think about this one!!

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.
  4. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

I think... I can't wait!!!! It was one of the most anticipated fights the last time as I wanted the two as a fight for ages. I knew Diaz's style would prove troublesome to McGregor and Diaz's chin too! If you were looking at all of the pre-fight hype, McGregor was losing his cool for the first time, he wasn't getting to Diaz whatsoever. McGregor usually wins the fight before setting foot in the cage. He couldn't do it with Diaz. Diaz has been there many times before, has been hit by a lot tougher guys, so it didn't phase him. I foresee major mind-games by McGregor over the coming months to psych him out, whether or not it will work or not is another thing. It is a VERY risky move by McGregor. If he loses again to Diaz, it will drastically rock his career. He will be forced to go down and defend his title, which I think he should have done anyway instead of this rematch.

McGregor fought the only fight he could have against Diaz - try press him heavily in the first round for a knock-out. Trying to go all day with a Diaz is fucking stupid, you are going to get gassed far earlier than those two, and the guys can take a major beating. Your only real option is to force them to react early on when they are trying to get settled into the fight. As McGregor said though, his accuracy was terrible, he was swinging wildly at times and panicked because Diaz wasn't going down with his strikes. Watching McGregor doing all of that fancy training shite before the fight I had to wonder what the fuck he was thinking. It is all well and good trying new stuff but not against someone who is taller than you, has a longer reach, is a better jiu-jitsu fighter and boxer than you. In my opinion, he shouldn't have taken the fight with Diaz, McGregor is more suited to guys shorter and with less reach than him that he can bully in the cage.

Bottom line, McGregor has a lot of work to do if he is to win the rematch.

lilbigman and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. lilbigman

Yeah, I agree 100% with everything you said Mebs. I honestly don't see what McGregor is thinking. He has alot to lose with little to gain. And to top it off the featherweight division is on pause while they wait for the champion to finish stoking his ego which may end up being all for nothing. I don't think Diaz is a champion, but I sure as hell wouldn't try and fight him just for shits and giggles. I think it is a very big gamble.

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  6. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Yep, Diaz also has mental leverage over McGregor having beaten him the first time and likes to talk shit, so it will be McGregor who will have to see if he can keep his cool against Diaz antagonizing him this time I think.

He definitely shouldn't try loads of new things, I think he should train specifically for the Diaz fight, watch his fight videos and try and pick up his habits. He should also work on the takedown defence as well as escaping when someone has your back, but also mainly working on what has worked for him thus far, but when he gets into the fight he should pick his shots better and not just try and blast Diaz out of there.

lilbigman and Mebs like this.
  7. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Diaz has the reach advantage and you could see him abuse it against McGregor in their fight. McGregor will probably have to take a few jabs in order to get into Diaz guard. Diaz does lean a lot when he is fighting, puts a lot of weight on that front leg. McGregor doesn't do a lot of muay thai low kicks, but maybe he should start! I don't think McGregor can do a great deal if Diaz gets him on the ground again, so his best bet is to avoid groundwork as much as possible. But that is what he was trying to do until he got desperate in the last fight.

BurtMeister3000 and lilbigman like this.
  8. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I read a headline earlier today about him retiring.... but there's something rotten in Denmark, fellows!

Retiring at 27 years of age when he is a superstar in the UFC and MMA, leaving a sport where he worked his way to the top and is earning top-billing, losing literally years of his highest potential earnings, going out on a loss, refusing to attend a press conference/promotional outing in order to not have to interrupt his training (WTF does the training matter if you're retiring?!), and etc, ad nauseam.

Naw, sumpin be fecked up, here!!

Hope the real story surfaces soon.......

lilbigman, Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  10. lilbigman

Well, joke or not, it looks like Dana White didn't find it too humorous as he has pulled McGregor from UFC 200. It seems like some of these fighters get on a win streak, get popular and think they are above the law. You can always count on Dana to slap their asses back to reality. Too bad though, I was looking forward to the rematch. :(

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.