1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV writing

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by Mebs, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

So, a thread for tips about writing one's CV. I find CV writing quite difficult, but have learnt many tips over the years to better equip people during the process. I will add to this list as I go along and have more time, so it will be edited a plenty :)

A few key ones, that maybe others can add to:

- Top of the page, have your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. Have it centred.

- Start with three key skills that you have that are applicable for the position you are going for. Make sure they are skills that you have shown in your previous positions.

- These three skills can be taken from a list of skills that you have already written up and copy and paste depending on the position you go for. i.e. communication skills, analytic skills, organisational skills, team-work, project management, computer skills and so forth.

- The next section should typically be your work experiences, starting with the most recent and working your way backwards.

- The next section is your education, again start with the most recent and work backwards.

- The next section can be something like "additional skill" and/or an interests section. Make this relevant and interesting for the job. Include hobbies and sports, these look good on a CV as it shows you are active, have passions, and the ability to stick to a task (such as a sport or skill).

- Finish with your references section. Typically, you can leave this section with an "available upon request", unless of course the job you are applying for specifies these in advance.

Of course, this is just the bare bones of it so far, just to give a layout. Any does or do nots will be greatly appreciated :)

Kitsune and Lifeapprentice like this.
  2. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ad8ew1u4eru42/CV.PNG?dl=0
    Here is an example from my English CV. I masked the too private details, but this one is for sure good to go. I did my a-level exam at a business school. Depending on how you send it, you can include your contact details in the middle of the header.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Mebs and Kitsune like this.
  3. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Hey man, do you want a few tips on the CV?

I don't think you are supposed to put your nationality and age/date of birth on the CV, usually you leave stuff like that out, at least over here you do.

Maybe expand on your work experience a bit more, i.e. give a few lines of your responsibilities and what you did in those positions? How you applied yourself, what skills you learnt from this position, how you benefited the company, appraisals etc.

I used to always put education first on my CV too, but now I have work experience before education. Most places want to know what experience you have in the workplace before knowing about your formal education, I find. I am not sure if you need to put in your education as far back as primary school, usually just high school and University education is required really. Also, you should probably put down what grades you got, the subjects you did etc :)

Hope a few of these pointers help you out. Writing CVs are a pain in the ass, it has taken me many years before knowing how to write good ones.

4. Tow1994

I guess there are cultural differences after all. Because this was marked perfect by all of my teachers in different schools :D The first thing is optional over here. The second thing is usually done in a cover letter which is written specifically for the company and the job you are applying for. Since I am still a student it is common to use education first, then working experience. Education is always listed completely. But nice to have this discussion ;)

Mebs likes this.
  5. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

I think its always good to put your own personal stamp on these things.

FossilHead likes this.
  6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

My sick mind had me putting my "personal" stamp on my CV before giving it in...

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  7. Tow1994

Personal stamp. Is that a figure of speech or is it literally a physical stamp?

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  8. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Figure of speech:D

Tow1994 likes this.
  9. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Another thing about CVs that I am unsure about are pictures. Do you include pictures on your CVs? I know for LinkedIn profiles it is mandatory, but it was always 50/50 on whether or not to include them over here on CVs.