1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardhead's Fitness Goals/Plans and Log

Discussion in 'Journals' started by FossilHead, Apr 24, 2016.

1. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

This is something about which I have gone into great detail in order to be better able to keep up with progress, and because setting SMART goals requires greater specificity….plus doing so just fits my personality! :rolleyes:

I relied mostly on prior experience to calculate my current stats and outline my goals. I have both bodyfat calipers and a handheld biometric resistance machine at home, but I am currently at work and I have been putting off posting my goals for long enough!

I calculated bodyfat by measuring tape and using a couple of online sites, as well as visually comparing myself to both online images of males with BF% calculated and my previous history and detailed measurements. I feel sure that my estimation is solid.

I still carry a fairly high body mass due to years of heavy weight-training (my BMI is noted below for S&G).

Overall plans/outline:

· Start actual programs upon my return from annual vacation. To begin program on June 1, 2016 and go for 16 weeks (ending first phase on October 1, 2016). Begin establishing good habits and preparatory workouts starting May 1, 2016

· Get out of bed after having 6-8 hours’ sleep, and do this every day regardless of work sked

· Maintain an online log

· 3 days/week of resistance training, 3 days/week of aerobics, with 1 free day each week upon beginning 16 week phase (for both diet and exercise)

· Aerobics to consist of jogging, stationary biking, an/or use of a new machine (elliptical or treadmill) which I am currently looking to purchase

· Do aerobics training prior to taking in any calories, and wait for 1 hour after completion before doing so

· Resistance training to consist of free-weight training, at home (I have a complete setup)

· Diet has been cleaned up considerably since around October 2015. Will continue to work on this as regards daily caloric intake, with appropriate breakdown of protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Intent is to decrease overall intake of carbs, increase protein intake, and maintain a healthful level of good fat intake.

· Using various calculations for both daily caloric intake and total of daily percentages of carbohydrates (C), proteins (P), and fats (F), I came up with what is detailed below, under “Diet”

Stats:

· Ht 5’ 10.5” with overall bodyweight of 218# (down from a high of 225# about 6 months ago)

· BMI of 31 (“morbidly obese” , lol)

· Current bodyfat: 28% (BF 61# and lean body mass (LBM) 157#)

· Healthstatus.com: 27.69% BF; Navy method and YMCA method: 25% BF; visual comparison and history: 28% BF

Measurements:

· Hips 42”

· Abdominal: 41” largest; 39” smallest

· Neck: 17.5” largest; 16.5” smallest

· R wrist 7.75”

· R forearm 13”

· R bicep 15.5”

· R thigh: 21” (mid); 23” (largest)

Body metamorphosis goals:

· Reduce overall bodyweight by 25#

· Increase LBM by 7#

· Reduce BF by 32#

· Complete 16 week program at overall bodyweight of 193#

· Complete 16 weeks program at 15% BF

Diet/Meals:

Looking at my current overall bodyweight and my LBM, and taking into consideration both lifestyle/exercise as well as initiating only a moderate initial caloric deficit to prevent my body from entering “starvation mode,” I came up with a range of daily caloric intake of between 1900-2600 calories. Considering the desire to increase protein intake and reduce carbohydrate intake, intent is to start with a 40/40/20 plan at 2600 calories/day.

Equates to 1040/1040/520 calories to start first phase on June 1, 2016.

· 700-900 calories each day from smoothie as my first meal (see my other post for the nutritional breakdown)

· Remaining daily caloric intake to be divided among 2 larger meals, and 2 smaller snacks, with goal of taking in calories every 2.5-4 hours, ending at approximately 8PM

· Approx 560 calorie “main” meals, with approx. 280 calorie snacks

· May require getting up at night at around 1:00-2:00AM for a protein shake to maintain LBM, which will have to be considered in overall caloric intake total.

(The rest of this information is mostly for me, for future tweaking)

Starting at 1040 cal/day of protein, with reduction during initial 12 weeks down to 785 cal/day, as necessary. Minimal protein intake range calculated using both current overall bodyweight of 218# and desired LBM of 164# at 1-1.5 grams/kg to establish a range of 112-150 grams/day of protein (450-600 calories/day) for “cutting” during final 4 weeks of first phase, as necessary.

Will proportionally reduce carbohydrates downward from 1040 cal/day to 785 cal/day during initial 12 weeks of first phase PRIOR to reducing protein intake.

Fat intake will range between 10-20% of overall caloric intake, starting at 20% or 520 cal/day, and will adjust downward as necessary to lose weight while maintaining energy level. Intent is to reduce carbohydrates PRIOR to reducing fat.

Party and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  2. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Ambitious goals, good luck, do it! Inspire me!!!

BurtMeister3000 and FossilHead like this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Good work Fossil!

Looks like you have very specific goals and accurate measurements going on, so good luck to you!

I think the log helps, as it feels like your cheating it if you don't update it regularly.

FossilHead likes this.
  4. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Just a quick post.

I have been keeping a daily log for my meals since early March, and I had been 'stuck' at about 220 pounds bodyweight for a goodly bit.....varied a couple of pounds +/- for many weeks, but no real movement in my weight-loss.

I was 220# on 4/22/16.

Read with interest the information Tow1994 shared about fasting days, and I incorporated that into my own plan.

Result: My last 'official' weight at my workplace was 213.5# on 5/2/16 ! So I am hopeful that incorporating the fast-days and getting past this recent 'plateau' will set me on a positive forward path for the detailed plans that I outlined in my initial post!

Tow1994 and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. BurtMeister3000

Fasting definitely helps!

I think if you fast and go exercise it should have an added effect of having no alternative but to turn to your body fat to burn as energy. The fasting also does bring hunger feelings under control.

FossilHead likes this.
  6. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Weight this morning upon arrival at work, taken on an empty stomach: 211#
    Feeling good about that!!

BurtMeister3000 and Tow1994 like this.
  7. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

Just a few quick tips from the top of my head:
    - try to not eat your biggest meal (in turns of volume and time it takes to be digested) (too late) in the evening. It will be digested mostly on your fasting day and when this is finished there comes a very big hunger
    - try to still watch your calories and macros (I understand you do, so I am just writing this for the sake of completeness)
    - coffee keeps your energy high if needed. If your blood sugar drops and you fear to get a headache, try an apple or something. Otherwise fasting will disturbe your daily routines, which is nothing that should happen

I also feel very very honored that you mentioned me here ;)

8. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but empty glucose levels can really hurt in your muscles. Sometimes when I jogged on a fasting day I had real pains in my upper legs. But it also becomes habit and had no further consequences.

9. BurtMeister3000

Yep, this is true. I try and eat some fruit as my first meal, bananas are rich in potassium and can help prevent cramp in your muscles. I usually eat an apple with this to get a bit of natural sugar, but drinking lots of water can be a big help too. Also your idea of drinking several cups of coffee is very helpful, I did this today with no food until just and its now 18:00, I usually do this but normally about mid afternoon.

Tow1994 likes this.
  10. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Figured that I might as well start keeping a log on here, in addition to the one that I have been keeping for myself since 3/7/16.....

May 6th

Wt: 212.4 on digital scales at home; 211# on empty stomach at work!

10:40A - coffee; 12:15P - sm bowl of pinto beans, slice of bread, 8oz. 2% milk; 2:30P - coffee; 4:30P - soft shelled taco with cheese, tomato, lettuce, H2O; 6:45P - H2O; 9P - lg bowl of cereal with 2% milk.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.