1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horoscopes and personality traits

Discussion in 'Dating, Friendships, and Relationships' started by Mebs, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Just wondering what people's attitudes about horoscopes are,what star signs are and how they indicate your relationship should be with others around you. I would have always said they were stupid,the scientific and analytic side of my brain,but so often when I read a synopsis on my star sign the likeness is uncanny!

2. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I have very, very rarely ever even read my horoscope.....and that usually by accident.
    I don't discount the "signs" of the heavenly bodies for planting and harvesting, but I do pretty much discount them for more than that.
    Astronomy, yes; astrology, no. One is a science and a study, the other simply palm reading of the stars, IMHO

3. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Oh yeh all of the horoscopes trying to predict what you are going to do in a given week is silly. The breakdown on people's characteristics is very interesting though. A lot of it seems to be close. I haven't a clue where this is pulledfrom though... Probably someone's ass :D

4. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

My left and right brain kind of pull together to form some kind of mixed belief on this. Much like personality tests, I think some parts of astrology can be useful or insightful, if taken in context. Personally, I don't give them too much weight, but they can be fun, and sometimes spot on.

Daily/weekly horoscopes seem a bit on the "entertainment" side for me. If there was some similarities between them, or sensible foundation, maybe I could give them more credit.
    Now, when it comes to natal charts and things like that, they seem a bit more thorough and consistent. I do think people get weird around a full moon, and tense when Mercury goes "backwards" (retrograde).
    I think this has more to do with effects much like the moon creating waves in our oceans by it's gravity alone. Who knows what other effects it has.

I apply it to the same idea that while telepathy seems far fetched, the amount of our brains used is minimal, and electric. We can send electric info through wifi, light, radio, etc. So who's to say with more brain function, we couldn't send thoughts?

A couple I have looked at is Natal charts (pretty good), North Nodes (reads like MBTI tests, very good), and some planetary effect stuff (hit and miss).

Of course, as with anything, if it works for someone, great. If it doesn't, that's cool too. :)

5. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

I have to admit that the Pisces star sign description is fairly close to my personality, and that of others born at the same time as me. The Taurus sign appears fairly pronounced in people too, especially women. Not sure about the rest of them, I don't usually ask people their star signs. :holdit:
    The daily/weekly things in the papers and magazines are rubbish.

6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yup, big time. That is my point. It is quite freaky the striking similarities in personality types and their horoscopes. And yes, Taurus women, that is certainly true all right.

I am Gemini and when I have read typical Gemini descriptions it is ridiculously uncanny how similar they get it. As I said, I don't know where they pull this information from but it is quite close to the bone!