1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

"I wish I took that risk"

Discussion in 'Spiritual and Mental Well Being' started by Mebs, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

This is a thread about thoughts and ideas about things that you were glad you took the risk and did in the past or situations where you chickened out and regret not doing those things now. This thread is as a result of a moment in my life where I FINALLY have a good job, one where is really close, get to spend time with my family, the people I work with are nice, the money is good and so on. However, the job is not in my field, it is only a 3 month contract for now and I am living at home.

I was offered to go abroad for a third-round interview with a research company and I am not sure what to do. It could be one of those moments that I look back on haunted by not taking it. Many people have expressed the same to me and it is something I have been thinking about greatly.

So let's have it, things you are glad you took the risk on, or wish you didn't. Life is a funny old thing and one little turn one way or another can have monumental effects on your whole future. I am caught in one of those moments right now so needed to throw my thoughts around with others.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  2. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Interesting , in my little experience and the numerous events when I chickened out, I would say it's almost always better to do something , find it is absolute crap and you feel like you lost your time than avoid it.
    Myself I've been strangled in front of such choices for way too long and way too often.

A friend of mine shared with me his solution to being confronted with important choices, he says it works 98% of the time. The idea is very simple, he just makes the first decision that comes to mind (maybe he'll give himself 15 mn to decide) , sticks to it and makes it work.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  3. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

This is a form of training that can eliminates getting lost in indecision. One I used to practice as a part of martial arts training, I felt much happier and more spontaneous back then, made it easier to live in the moment.

I was just discussing something that me and my mates were up to years back with the wife yesterday. Me and two of my mates went out and drank lots of bear, then we went for a curry, then we walked down to a local canal where they used to tow barges. It was my mates bright idea to jump over this canal beneath a bridge, that was around 7 or 8 feet wide. I went first and ran up to the edge of the canal and I said to myself, either I have to go for it or I don't (no indecision!), so I went for it. My mate started running about a second after me, but he hesitated. I landed on the other side of the bank and skidded a bit and had to put my hands down. But my mate, because he second guessed himself, fell short and landed with his arms on the bank and his legs in the water. His white jeans were covered in some slimy black shit and he walked home like he had just taken one in his pants. Me and my other mate got our camera phones out and started videoing him, which he didn't seem too impressed with. He called us both "wankers" whilst we chuckled and he hobbled off dripping.

The moral of the story is, don't second guess yourself!

Mebs likes this.
  4. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I have made any number of poor decisions over the years that have really impacted my life.

Rather than laying out all my goofs, tho, I will just mention two biggies:

First, I was in the military and held a Top Secret security clearance. Had planned to put in 20 years and retire at the ripe old age of 37, but I was given incorrect information by one of my superiors which cost me a large re-enlistment bonus, so I told the military to feck off.......brilliant!

Second, when the first Iraq war ended they were seeking folks with a military background and a security clearance to go over and so some specialized work. A younger buddy of mine and I talked about it, decided we were going to do it, and sent for all the paperwork. He puts me off for a bit, then finally backs-out.
    I could have made a shit-ton of money, tax-free, and stayed over there for a few years. I was young, had no ties that would have kept me at home, and could've broken the bank......literally could have set myself up for a very early retirement if I had spent a couple or three years working over there. Pay was a guaranteed $70k a year, with the possibility to more than double that, depending upon one's background and expertise.
    And with my background I would have been able to call my own plays.
    But I let that paperwork lay around until they had filled their initial quotas, and then I tossed it in the trash instead of even applying for the second wave......

Two major, life-changing fuckups , right there

Party and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Damn! You missed out on two big opportunities there Fossil! However, you could have been killed so it might have been a risk that you were better off not taking :D

One risk I took that everyone warned me against was travelling to South America for a summer by myself when I was 21. Everyone warned me against it, saying I would be killed, dismembered and raped (in that order) if I went. Ohhh it is crazy there, you will be kidnapped. Best risk I ever took. Went travelling the following summer back there and had some of the best experiences of my life.

BurtMeister3000 and Party like this.
  6. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Good point!

BurtMeister3000 and Party like this.
  7. lilbigman

lilbigman Well-Known Member

I know one that most of us here have done. PE. "You will screw up your cock and it will never work right again". Here we are a few years later with not only a bigger one, but one that works better than it has in 20 years! Glad I took that risk. :D

8. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

HAha definitely, there is a lot of that around. It is so funny going on boards like Quora.com and every single response about PE is that it is imaginary and dangerous lol.

Any more risk takers on here? :D