1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Protection for Dummies

Discussion in 'Stretching the Gray Matter' started by BurtMeister3000, Aug 17, 2017.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Okay, so although I probably fit squarely into the dummy category and Mr Spock is far better than I when it comes to this stuff, I thought I would compile a thread where we could have a list (and links if possible) to some of the best protection you are able to get to remain safe online. I have broken the list into lists corresponding to the various different types of protections available.

I thought we would use the first post to have a list of free software and possibly the second or so post we can have a list of paid for software. Any additions to the list you can think of, if you post in the thread and a mod or admin can add your suggestion to the lists.

(This is a work in progress - feel free to add to it)

Browsers

1. Tor - Whilst not perfect, it does mask your IP address. Requires some configuration.
    2. Brave - Blocks ads, Uses VPN for money transfers so it says. (Bitcoin partner it appears)
    3. Opera - Has built in VPN, but not sure how secure and seems to have trouble connecting via VPN.
    4. Yandex - Has built in virus scanner, but can slow down your activity when running.

VPN's

1. Windscribe - Free version. Limited to countries - US, UK, Canada, Hong Kong, France etc.

Anti-Virus

1. AVG - Free version for a limited period. Relatively good and offers additional tools.
    2. Avast - Free indefinitely and generally solid antivirus.
    3. ZoneAlarm - Haven't used this in years, but from what I remember it seemed reliable.

MrSpock likes this.
  2. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member

Thank you BurtMeister3000! This is an excellent list! :thumbsup: (y)

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

Thanks Mr Spock, please add to the list if you can think of any more or different types of malware protection that we could benefit from. :thumbsup: (y)

MrSpock likes this.
  4. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member

For a firewall, I use Comodo, just the firewall not the whole internet security bundle. Its free, and very customizable. The built in Windows Firewall is good, but a pain to customize for regular users or if you do not have time.

I think you can get a better deal with one of the reputable paid VPN services out there. While their month by month fees are relatively high, they can be quite cheap when you subscribe for a whole year.

Some are located in countries that does not mandate keeping any logs, so they don't.

Sadly, there are talks in several countries that are planning to ban VPN's. Russia has already passed that into law.

5. BurtMeister3000

Yep, I hear that paid for VPN's are better. Didn't realize they were planning to ban VPN's, but I can't say its unexpected.

MrSpock likes this.
  6. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member

Yeah, experts are warning against that, but politicians only listen to the voices in their own heads.

7. BurtMeister3000

Is the Comodo internet protection free? I mean the whole security bundle or just the firewall??

MrSpock likes this.
  8. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member

There are free and paid for versions of each.

9. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member