1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Interviews

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by Mebs, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

A thread about tips, questions and answers for jobs, and any pointers for us in general.

I will start: The other day I was flummoxed by a question during a telephone interview: "What type of person are you?". I just didn't know how to answer it, because I was so used to giving off my professional persona and what I can offer a workplace, how I can benefit a company and so forth. When this question came up it rocked me to my core. I didn't know whether to give a spiel about what I am like in work, my at home personality, or how to answer the question. It dawned on me that we have many different personalities to many different people and different circumstances. Which one was requested for this interview. I still don't know the answer I would give. The answer I did give was total waffle, I can barely remember what I said.

So how would any of you answer this question? Anyone have similar experiences or weird interviews?

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  2. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Now that is a proper stupid question.
    I have no idea what I would have said (I hope that helps).
    Something along the line of outgoing, dynamic, determined, enjoys team work?..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

It depends on the job and company you are applying for. What job and company was it?

4. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

It was a researcher at a policy advisement company. I was a bit unsure what to say,just rambled on that I really focus on tasks,enjoy problem solving,work well in teams but excellent at independent research.

5. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Yeah, no wonder that one threw you for a loop......having to guess that whomever was asking the question was not a veteran interviewer, because there just isn't much to be gleaned from ANY answer to that question, IMHO.
    The first thing that popped into my head after just a couple seconds after reading it was, "I'm a Type-A personality: I don't allow things needing done to sit around, and when I am working, I am moving quickly and with more than a bit of a 'perfectionist' attitude towards the work being done."

Dumbest and most laughable overall interview that I ever had was when I was looking for a second job and applied for an assistant manager's position at a new fast-food restaurant near where I lived. Made an appointment to interview with the owner, dressed semi-professionally (kahkis and button-down, belt, nice shoes), and entered the restaurant. Guy comes out from the back room (office, I assumed) with a clipboard in his hand. Dude was probably mid-30's to 40ish, short, rotund, glasses, beard, with wild hair pointing in every direction, and balding.....and I was dressed notably better than he was! My first thought was, "What a fecking gnome!"
    He says for us to sit down in one of the booths........I am thinking that we are going to 'break the ice' and go back into the office for the interview. Nope!
    He begins the interview, and I have never had any more difficult or in-depth questions at any time, before or since!!
    I mean, this guy was asking shizz that belonged in an interview to be second-partner at a large law firm, or CEO of a corporation.
    So I answer a few early questions, and he finally asks one that totally blows my mind, so I just stand up (laughing) and say, "Dude, this is a fucking assistant manager's position at a fucking fast food restaurant" and walk out.
    (Still have never been back to that restaurant, either!)

I want to post a bit more, here, as I have interviewed for a lot of positions over the years.........longest that I have EVER stayed in any job is about 4.5 years, and I changed jobs 6 times in one 12 month period!
    Just pushed for time, right now!

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  6. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

If you make it sound honest and not trained, then this was a perfectly fine answer.

7. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yes, Fossil, it sounded like it was her first time conducting an interview actually. She was reading off a script of questions she composed. Who knows how it went. I still have not heard back from them, so I doubt I got it.

That is ridiculous about that restaurant!!!! What was he expecting haha. I have similar ones so I need to drag them out of my brain.

No worries, keep them coming, I love hearing about people's experiences with these types of things. Hopefully we can get a giggle and learn stuff along the way :)

FossilHead and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  8. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Glad you posted this! I nearly posted one of these a little while back.

Sometimes, I think what you say isn't necessarily as important as how you say it as long as it isn't catastrophically bad or a phone interview. I think the PUA entitlement attitude comes in a bit here, not in any smug kinda way, but you should believe you are exactly the right person for the job, the guy they are looking for, its a forgone conclusion, but you have plenty of options, so aren't pinning all your hopes on this one position. They should be lucky to have you on their team!

Why do I say this? Well simply, an attitude that isn't cocky, but has quiet confidence and makes you feel lucky to be in the same room kinda says without saying you have experience, know what you are doing, are on your game, confident in your abilities and ability to master new skills (if need be) and you know your value is all attractive to a potential employer.

Also, know your stuff and be prepared, but once you have don't do last minute cramming, it will only make you tense. They probably do like to mess with people and test their creativity, they have probably done this same boring dance several times that day. So take a deep breath, smile, have fun and enjoy yourself. If nothing else its a learning experience.

Lifeapprentice and Mebs like this.
  9. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

The dreaded SKYPE interview...

How to go about doing them? I find the thought of them worse than both phone and real-life ones. Got one coming up soon. Any tips or experiences?

10. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Never had one of those.

Maybe put on your best clobber, make yourself as handsome as possible, tidy your room and try and strategically place lots of trophies in the background?

Also rehearsing talking about your interests might help, so maybe write some stuff down and read it out loud to get your voice working as clear as possible. Make good use of vocabulary too!

Tow1994 likes this.