1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Old School Exercises

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, May 2, 2016.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Any guys out there use any old school exercises?

I know there are a great many and there have been many that aren't used any more because of modern equipment, but there are some things that modern equipment still can't always seem to replicate.

Here is one for wrist strength I used to do, but haven't for a while...

FossilHead likes this.
  2. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

Hm...I am too young for knowing old school exercises :D

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

The most impressive changes to my lats came when I incorporated wide-grip pull ups into my routine in place of all the crap that I had tried over the years (cable rows, dumbbell rows, bent rows, T-bar rows, etc, etc.)
    Started out unable to do more than a handful, but in 3-4 months I was able to do several sets of 10 with a 35 pound plate hanging off my weightbelt.

I never could get any satisfaction out of another set of old school leg exercises, bench squats and sissy squats, tho. I had to stick to my normal parallel squats with the barbell and walking lunges with dumbbells, with a few front squats tossed in for good measure......some folks might consider the walking lunge or the front squats to be "old school" too, lol

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Dunno what sissy squats are? But I used to do the weighted lunges, they seem to cook your butt cheeks more than anything and make you walk funny. :roflmao:

I do non weighted fast squats from Kitsune's convict callisthenics routine with your hands on either shoulder and I make sure my ass touches the floor to get the full range of motion. These seem to target your quads better, but because of the explosive way I do the exercise, they seem to help me get more power into my punches. I see a lot of the external Shaolin kung fu exercises to focus on strength, but they are very tedious and develop your concentration and patience too. I think they do the wrist strength one I posted previous, but in addition they walk around gripping large vases that have no rim to grip, filled with water amongst others. Another the use a long stick, sit in the horse stance and with an outstretched arm, holding the stick at one end they rotate it so it in a large arc so it touches the floor similar to this-