1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientists create synthetic sperm

Discussion in 'Dating, Friendships, and Relationships' started by Kitsune, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

A recent study posted success with creating possibly effective artificial sperm. Prior studies used test mice and were successful. This time, the process was likely stopped short due to the use of stem cells and medical requirements around the use of them. But, it had gone far enough to indicate a high probability that it would work.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientists-create-artificial-human-eggs-and-sperm/

So, good news or bad news? Well....

If used properly, and as that article assumed, then good. The medical advances could very well lead to new discoveries and cures. Awesome!

But tabloids are already mocking "Science can create babies without men!". Not good, and to be honest, not far off point.

See, another benefit could be helping male infertility. Which is good. A lot of men are affected by this, and to a couple wanting children, this could be miraculous. But will it always be used in that way? I'm not so sure.

Where does it get the half of the DNA string used to pass along genetics? Maybe you get to add DNA to the mix, and make it simulate a person's own sperm. Maybe you can pick a bit. Cut out this bad part, maybe add these. Oh, pick height, good immune system, strong bones...and before we know it, we are building super humans like a video game player edit mode. Might turn into playing God a bit, yes?

And also, if men are already fighting a battle to keep our place in society, removing our need to even be present for reproduction sounds miraculous to those who see men as a world burden. And they get to custom build offspring? Even though far fetched and maybe a bit dramatic, something about that and the tone of todays society is a bit unsettling.

What do you think? Cure, or crazy?

2. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

I'd align with the tone of your post. Doesn't sound too positive. But men are still essential, even when a lot of jobs are farmed out to machines, someone has to build and maintain them. Scientists are also working on artificial wombs..

3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Yes.

Just as you noted, there surely would be the inclination to improve upon certain areas, remove certain uncertainties, "fix" the bad things, and on, and on.

BUT:
    Where does one "draw the line" so to speak?
    Who, or what "agency," maintains oversight?
    Ditto on who has control over the "stop button?"
    Who decides what is good vs/ bad? What is acceptable vs/ unacceptable?

This would be the definition of a "slippery slope" if ever there was one!

BurtMeister3000, Corvid and Kitsune like this.
  4. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

True Corvid. And especially for companionship, humans want humans at an instinctual level. No matter if boy/girlfriend robots or artificial reproduction are readily available. I would tend to think egg alteration would happen before outside of body reproduction. Something about keeping it within the boundaries makes even the most artificial things seem still "human". Good example, is faces on robots, when a blank plate would do. Keeps it familiar and relatable, I suppose.

Yep, slippery slope for sure.
    I don't know who would be in charge, but doubt anyone with the purest of intentions. Or at least insusceptible to some influence.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    BurtMeister3000 and Corvid like this.
  5. Cali Girl 510

Cali Girl 510 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of backlash when they cloned the sheep Dolly. Everyone was saying how cloning was bad and that it wouldn't be used for good. I don't recall hearing any horror stories about cloning.

Advancement in science can be a scary thing, but it can also be a blessing. Let's just hope that good will prevail over evil.

6. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

The media saying this is hardly a surprise. I believe they are run by anti-male feminists. Over here at least it pretty much seems that way.

I partly think this would be good for people who want children, but part of me thinks of the consumer society and that our population is growing anyway. There are plenty of children who need fostering and I like to think if I couldn't have them and really wanted them I would go this route. How good must it feel to be a child without a family and have someone choose you?

7. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

Very good point Mr. Burty. I think we do well enough with overpopulation without helping it along, or making it easier.
    Maybe if we put just a chunk of that funding to helping orphans, eh? :meh:

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  8. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Exactly. It might be unfair to externally judge people who opt for IVF and expensive fertility treatments in later life, but I always think of that exact point. They're creating a riskier pregnancy and a greater chance of multiple health problems for the child. Neighbours of mine has a daughter later in life, just found out the other day she has very serious health problems and is only in her mid to late teens. Practically bedridden. Why not care for a child that's already here? There's over 7 billion of us ffs, is that not enough?! It seems so selfish.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

In playing "Devil's advocate" for those who may not consider adoption a realistic option, for whatever reason, this quote comes from an article about the first successful uterus transplant in the U.S.
    (and, since that is so similar to what this thread is discussing, I will create and link to a new thread about this procedure)

“Although adoption and surrogacy provide opportunities for parenthood, both pose logistical challenges and may not be acceptable due to personal, cultural or legal reasons.”

The link to the new thread:
    https://www.theplanofattack.com/com...-gives-hope-to-women-with-rare-condition.173/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    BurtMeister3000 and Kitsune like this.