1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Sleep

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by Mebs, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Okay, we have all heard to old adage of needing 8 hours of sleep a night, but who actually and realistically gets this? What type of hours do you typically sleep? How many hours can you get away with sleeping and still function? Is there an ideal? Is there too much sleep?

Personally, I can "cope" with anything from 3-5 hours sleep for a few nights in a row, but anything more than that I just need to crash and "top-up" my sleeping hours. I am nowhere near as clear-thinking with low levels of sleep. An ideal for me would be 7 hours of sleep, if I am very lucky. I would rarely, if ever, get 8 hours of sleep even at the weekend. If I am running low on sleeping hours during the week, I will try to fit in more sleep at the weekend.

However, I find it difficult to cram that sleep into one sitting. So I will take a little nap late afternoon or evening before my main sleep. Typically my body tells me when I need to sleep. As much as I love sleep, I find it difficult to just "turn my brain off", like what some people can do. Unless I am worn out by exercise and mental activity all day I will have trouble sleeping. I think there is some kind of meditative ingenuity of people that can just shut their brain off for sleep and are out like a light in a few minutes.

2. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

It's also a question of rythm. I can dovery well with 7-7.5 hours every night, I tried 6 and after two weeks I was completely jaded.
    Power naps are very useful. 10-15 mn at most, more often than not it feels like I slept way more.
    Meditation should help, some say it's even more restful than sleeping. What I used to do was meditate right before sleeping. I'm sure it improves the quality of sleep, and it sure shortened the lapse of time before falling asleep .
    It should help with power naps too , or make them useless.

Sometimes I sleep more and I'm still tired when I wake up, at the moment it could be allergies , other times it could have been slight depression or mysterious reasons I'm unaware of.

So basically quality of sleep is important, and meditating in complete darkness before sleep will, imo, help with that. Then there are the more usual suggestions, like don't eat less than 3-4 hours before sleep, don't drink too much either etc.. Gerds can lower the quality of sleep .

Sports , if done too late in the evening, does keep me awake.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Kitsune and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  3. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Generally I can function okay on 6 hours of sleep. Any less and I struggle. I find if I have more sometimes its more of a struggle getting myself out of bed, but sometimes I feel super refreshed. Its kinda weird how an 8 hour + sleep will sometimes make me feel re-energised or even more tired.

4. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I am a sleep hog, when I can be. Will happily snooze for 10 hours.
    On the flip side, when I have to get busy and lose some sleep to get things done, or when I am working a set of longer scheduled workdays, then I can pretty reasonably get by on 5-6 hours.
    One of the best schedules that I have ever worked was a 3PM - 3AM shift. I could come home and crash for a few hours, then have all the rest of the morning and early afternoon to accomplish tasks.

I have to stay away from napping, tho, as I will actually end up sleeping for 2, 3, or even 4 hours.

However, none of this has to do with age because I have been this way forever!

Kitsune and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

I mostly go on 5-7, rarely 8 or more. I'd say 7 is ideal for me. I feel rested, and clear headed.
    Much like others mentioned though, too many days closer to 5, and I start to get foggy, unfocused, and a bit irritable.

Can't nap, never have been able to. Except for the rare occasion where I'm deathly sick, or way too exhausted. Even then, I feel off.

If the sun is up, I can't sleep. Probably also responsible for the early rise on most days.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  6. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Well I need 8-9 hrs or my BP goes up. Never get them tho, between my enlarge prostate, I'm 54, and my daughters cat, she's very needy and loud, kinda like my wife, I never get them. Arrrgh.

7. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Hahaha

54 is still spring chicken age;)

Party likes this.
  8. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Not so much for me but my wife is in her prime. Menopause???

9. PurpleOnes

PurpleOnes Active Member

Well I think 8 hours is realistic but it depends on your work a lot in total with naps I think it is doable.

I noticed that 1 hour nap is good for me since if I take longer naps I feel tired for some reason. Too much sleep would be anything beyond 10 hour like 11-12 hours.

Too little would be like 1-3 hours that happend couple of times last week. I do not feel tired after that but next day I will if I do not get proper sleep.

Mostly getting the 8 hours of sleep is related to structure and not staying awake late. For me it is also about keeping my hands of the phone in bed since I can watch youtube videos in bed for over an hour and not sleep enough.

What I heard it is also about making it a routine of getting up at similar times and going to bed at similar times.. let's say waking up at 7 am and going to bed at 10-11 pm. On weekends you often usually sleep more.

I started to put more importance on sleep recently since it affect things like me preparing for exams or my erections too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  10. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yeah, it seems that most people don't get 8 hours sleep, which is what my assumption was. It is very difficult to get 8 hours sleep, while holding down a full-time job, without sacrificing all kind of life you have. I wonder if this 8 hours is simply a number they pulled from the sky or if there is any evidence behind it. Same as what a lot of you guys were saying, I would often feel more tired after 8 hours sleep than 6 hours.

If you are working a full-time job, let's say 9 - 5.30, then you would have to be ASLEEP by 11 pm if you were getting up at 7 am (let's say you have a big commute to work). If you have to commute back home then in the evening, you would not be getting home until after 7 pm. Giving you a whopping 4 hours of life before bed. When you factor in cooking, cleaning and getting ready for the next day, it ain't giving much time for a life huh?

As Purple said, I usually "catch up" on my sleep at the weekends. Taking naps whenever and wherever possible :D