1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Success in school,failure in life

Discussion in 'Skills, Business and Finance' started by Mebs, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

2. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Looks good to me!

I completely agree though, they do seem to suck the creativity out of you in school and replace it with repetition.

3. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

I think the article is ok at best, it puts school and education in the trash in a hurry.
    I do agree with some of their points.
    I have had no problems in school, I usually got on well with teachers and I suspect in many cases the relationship with the teacher was an other reason to learn, along with curiosity , challenge or sheer interest.

The problem which I now notice very much is how I should have enlarged my experiences outside of school, relationships, love, doing stupid stuff, working etc.. School may be problem in that you have to sit all day and then come back home and work then repeat. Children are not encouraged to develop themselves outside of school, and more often than not they don't have the time for it (although parents do stuff their schedule with more and more activities).

Also when it ends you are faced with what you, as an independent individual, want to do and
    how you can do it. This can be a harsh transition depending on the young adult and how he viewed school and lived his life beforehand.

On the other hand it's still a fantastic opportunity to become educated, exchange with other people, make friends, learn to live in a group, create a social circle etc... Imo it depends a lot on how one, or the school, or the teachers approach this learning process.

A last thing, some people may not fit well within regular schools and education, they may feel more at their ease doing manual work , in the craft industry, building houses etc.. I often sense a bit of an invisible hierarchy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

I agree on the hierarchy, but I think there is a lot missing from schools. I think they should be teaching kids how to save money, how to budget, how to delay reward, maths is definitely good, but I think there should be a lot more practical emphasis on it. English I was never a fan of until now, so teaching kids to make better use of their vocabulary to better express themselves would be a good idea. Also we had home economics when I was in school and they taught us how to bake a cake, but little else. They should have taught kids (and got them to do it) how to feed themselves and create healthy meals. Practical life skills that will benefit people when they enter the workforce and have to function on their own is the way I think they should go.

Also they should teach how to set up your own business and how to fill out tax returns, those things are written by Klingons. Maybe stuff like how to maintain a vehicle and how to repair things might be a good idea too.

5. Lifeapprentice

I think school is made to broaden kids' horizons, to help them develop intellectually, it can't be held responsible for every failures nor all missing part of one's education. More practical topics may be fine but there are many things parents could teach too, and imo school is not meant to be a how-to on life and making a living, although I agree it should encourage children , teenagers and young adults to make more (practical) experiences outside school.

All the topics which are studied in school help the students expand their brain, their memory, their knowledge , their awareness of history (which may help avoid repeating the same mistakes, or may help put present events into perspective etc..), their ease with numbers , their inner representation of 2d/3d objects/drawings , the way they think etc... More arts lessons could help with creativity. All those skills are very worthy.

Learning how to make a proper diet could be very interesting (although people would have to agree on what such a diet is).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  6. Lifeapprentice

I agree on the need to look beyond rewards, however I do not know how to achieve this in the real world, the whole system would need a major overhaul. If kids worked at school to understand things, talk to their parents and friends about difficult questions it would be awesome. A lot of kids don't see the point in learning what they are teached while an other important numbers think about grades, what ratings they will end the year with etc..(again parents play a part).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016