1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Alpha, Beta and Omega : Pack Mentality

Discussion in 'Dating, Friendships, and Relationships' started by Kitsune, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Kitsune

Kitsune Staff Member

Read the full article here, and discuss below!

PapaNino, BurtMeister3000 and MrSpock like this.
  2. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Ah yes, all too familiar with the pack mentality. Prefer to be more of a lone wolf myself, either that or I'm selective about who I surround myself with!

PapaNino and Kitsune like this.
  3. PapaNino

PapaNino Member

Nice post. I agree that our use of the term isn't reflective of the natural order we see in various packs. Regardless of how animal we might see ourselves, our socialization, enculturation, and level of consciousness, often makes comparisons of man to the nature around him all too simplistic.

4. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yes, it is far too simplistic and misleading to define entire categories of human beings into such simple and quite silly categories. Most sections within the animal world are not even this simplistic. I think very often people associate alpha and replace it with behaviour that would more favourably fit into the category of being an asshole! Alpha is replaced with arrogance, self-righteousness, aggression and a cut-throat attitude that is not really conducive to a happy society, much less to a productive one. In this divisive type of world there would just be two type of groupings, alpha and beta for example. Either you are top-dog and able to walk over others or else you are meek and one who is being walked over.

So, from the members we have here, do you think people who buy into these theories would categorise you as beta-males? Do you think it would fit? Are these terms more suitable for younger guys or can there be older alpha and beta males?

Kitsune, PapaNino and FossilHead like this.
  5. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Bwaahaha!
    Funny, dude....but also right on the money, as is the rest of your post!

PapaNino likes this.
  6. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Ah that is just what a beta would say :p

PapaNino likes this.
  7. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Uh-oh......
    Does that make me a butt-sniffer? o_O

Cause I really, really don't wanna be a butt-sniffer :(

PapaNino likes this.
  8. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

No, I think betas don't even get to sniff butts. I think they just carry about ladies handbags and then get rooted by huge strap-ons when they get home :D

PapaNino and FossilHead like this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Feck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PapaNino likes this.
  10. PapaNino

PapaNino Member

:laugh: Nice...9 words into that second sentence and you had me laughing whiskey and soda all over my keyboard. Thanks for that!

I'd answer though, based on the paradigm given by Mebs - that the trend is to associate the Alpha male with the more annoying of our human characteristics (those often found in politicians, celebutards, and cutthroat corporatists) - I would be deamed "Beta" by "people who buy into these theories."

But for myself, and I believe a few of those I know here, it wouldn't matter as we understand such concepts are what are only constructs of society - at it's own various and complex levels. The only thing that is real in our journey on this realm is what we know ourselves to be. No person or group or state can ever make you into something, force your conformance to X or Y standard, without your ascent. And it is no one elses' thoughts that are going through our heads, we can only be what we think we can be, whether we figure it out by self-discovery or acquiesce to someone else's vision of who are.

Kitsune and FossilHead like this.