1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topics men enjoy talking about.....or not

Discussion in 'Dating, Friendships, and Relationships' started by FossilHead, May 8, 2016.

1. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

We have likely all experienced those great moments when we were talking with someone of the fairer sex, and time seemed to stand still. Likewise, we have probably all been in a situation when we literally considered yanking out our own eyeballs and stuffing them in our ears so we can have some peace as we give ourselves a quick lobotomy.

Guys have the reputation of not liking to talk, but the fact of the matter may just be that our female friends or significant others are simply engaging in a conversation that we have little interest in.

And, granted, we are men: there are times when it simply isn't a good idea to try to engage a guy in any sort of conversation!
    If I am watching a sporting event, a race, or any of my favorite shows----- or even a favorite movie that I have already seen a hundred times----- then you're not going to get much out of me unless the topic is sex....... as in "I want to have wild and crazy, uninhibited sex with you, RIGHT NOW!"

Yep. Guaranteed that sort of comment will get my attention.
    Hell, who am I kidding? Just the word "sex" is going to get my attention!

So, what are your favorite topics of conversation to engage in with the woman/women in your life (or those in whom you are interested)?
    Or, put another way, what do you like for her to bring up and talk about with you?
    And looking at the flip-side of that coin, what topics make you cringe when you think about hearing them?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  2. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Favorite topics, anything she wants to talk about as I get drunk just being near her.

Bad topics, same girl talking about other men, just shot me now, Arrrgh.

3. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Hmmmm, topics I talk about with women.....

Well, generally I talk about anything, what they are up to, are they working, etc etc. However if I find them boring I just amuse myself and giggle at my own jokes, they either stay and laugh or leave looking worried.

Party likes this.
  4. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Lol well since I'm not looking l like to mess with the occasional, and very rarely, flirt with me. Not in a hurtful way, more self deprecating. Like "You have pretty eyes", reply, oh they aren't blood shot today. What I wanted to say was, you are one hot assed woman with great breasts, but ya know. Married. Remember. Damn.

5. Party

Party Well-Known Member

That actually happened by the way, and if I wasn't married, Ida done her in a heart beat. 20 years younger and 120 lbs. Arrrgh

6. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Emmm, well today...

I brought a solar battery trickle charger over to show to my friend cos her camper battery keeps going flat and she keeps asking me to jump start it. She never runs the engine throughout the year except for the summer and now the battery is ruined. She talked to me about a recent ex for 45 mins then got into a fight with her sister who she perceived to have been rude to me..

I texted a girl I kind of like, I thought she was giving me signals. We were out dancing after a gig a few days ago. I said in the text that it would be nice to do something like that again and finished up with a joke about the dance music reminding me of the time the cats' tail got caught in the hoover (it really did sound like a half jammed motor in its death throes), but she didn't reply. Women and texting. It's like there's some code you're meant to follow which is attached to a random letter generator. (cos what works one day won't work the next) I seldom get woman texts right.

Was at an open mic in Galway, serious talent there. A few girls were checking me out, but I find myself chatting up less women these days. It's like my ability to make small talk longer than 2-3 mins with people I don't know ran out a few years ago. I usually feel like a failing comedian on stage in front of a deeply critical audience. I asked a pretty German girl beside me to put her scarf on my seat while i went to the bathroom and she obliged. Which was nice.

But that was today, I was on fire on Friday. Mostly I crack jokes, talk about psychology or music. Art as well, cos I happen to know a few artists.

BurtMeister3000 and Party like this.
  7. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Ya know, if was on the prowl today, I would never text a gal I was interested in, to impersonal.

8. Corvid

Corvid Active Member

Texting is total bullshit, but all the younger women are big into it because it's non confrontational and gives them power over the conversation. I really don't like it, am much better at talking on the phone or face to face. On the other hand, when a girl gets possessive or clingy, she'll text you all day asking where you are and what you're doing. Others ignore texts or wait days to reply. Plus, they show your texts to all their friends and dissect each syllable. There's no tonality or visual communication in them, so they can be bent any way. When I used to go out on the pull more, I tried ringing girls instead, most of the time they'd be too scared to answer the phone. So you've got to enter text world to build up to a phone call, or get a face to face meeting.

It's hard to gauge, but I do know that woman, so I might have gotten away with a phone call. The texting thing doesn't apply to the older generation of women as much, they prefer to meet or talk on the phone. Women in their early 30's use texting a lot, and the ones in their 20s text so much that doctors project long term motor problems with their thumbs as they grow older. Not joking.

BurtMeister3000 and Party like this.
  9. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Ah, yes, the frigging cell phone....... many in my family are eaten-up with the fecking addiction.

There have been more times that I hated the sumbitches and wished to toss them all in the crick than appreciated them, as I looked around with joy and pride at my crew, each one hunkered over this dollar-bill-sized device, fingers flying, and totally oblivious to everything and everyone else.
    There are even dickheads in my extended family that will sit at the dinner table, phone-in-hand, texting away at the holiday meal.

But, my apologies: this is the thread for what you prefer your female friends/companions to talk with you about, and what you hate to have them bring up.
    The cellphone rant should prolly have gone into its own thread.........

Corvid, BurtMeister3000 and Party like this.
  10. Party

Party Well-Known Member

Yep, I think if there were a vibrater app, my wife would divorce me and marry her phone, it gets more attention from her than I do.

BurtMeister3000, FossilHead and Mebs like this.