1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Urban peacefulness

Discussion in 'Spiritual and Mental Well Being' started by Mebs, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

I was on a train in the city where people were completely stuffed on and compressed in. In the city there are a lot of junkies,couldn't eat my sandwich in peace in a localpark even. How do people cope and maintain your inner wellbeing in this type of environment? Escapism? Adaptation? Grew up in this environment so it is okay? Enjoy this type of environment?

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  2. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Meditation in movement, much more difficult to maintain, but much more beneficial!

Mebs likes this.
  3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Thankfully I have only had to deal with this during trips to more urban areas....NOT a problem back in the stix where I live!

4. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

I'm jealous!

FossilHead likes this.
  5. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

A few things that helped me over the past few days on dwelling in the squalor of city life:

Music! Big as fook headphones to drowned out all of the horrible noise around me. I have been finding Mogwai particularly relaxing and soothing on my commutes. It really allows my physical presence to relax and unwind within these environments. I was getting a bit frustrated being extremely crammed into a train earlier, and then piled in beside this fat fuck eating really stinky crisps and a drink very loudly. Put on tunes and then was back down to normality.

Book: Reading has really diverted my attention away from the bus - train - tram routine that I have to do every morning. Being able to concentrate on something other than the awfulness of your surroundings has been very beneficial.

Park for lunch: Been going to a park for my lunch so as to get out of the office and have some sort of nature presence during my time where I need to decompress. It has been working well, I have been feeling more relaxed and not bothered by things as a result.

More observations to come...

6. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

Sometimes a guy or a woman will smile at me , maybe say hello and it changes my mood instantly.
    I don't see how one can enjoy being crammed in a train, especially if someone just bought a meal at macdonald's or smells like a polecat.

7. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

No, being crammed on a shitty train is horrible when it is completely full! I am doing okay at trying to zone out and be in my own little world though. I don't know how people do this long-term though, like years etc...

8. Cali Girl 510

Cali Girl 510 Well-Known Member

To me it's all normal. Growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are people everywhere. Cramming in means you don't have to wait another 10 minutes for the bus or BART ( like of like a subway).

9. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Yeah it must be a great degree to one's upbringing and environment. I grew up in a fairly small town but was always in the countryside and fields etc. I wonder do people raised in very urbanite areas feel strange in nature in the same way country folk feel in big cities?

Cali Girl 510 likes this.
  10. Cali Girl 510

Cali Girl 510 Well-Known Member

Yes! I am such a city girl.