1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uterus Transplant Gives Hope to Women With Rare Condition

Discussion in 'Dating, Friendships, and Relationships' started by FossilHead, Feb 27, 2016.

1. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

First Uterus Transplant in US Gives Hope to Women With Rare Condition

How it would feel to know that you could never carry or give birth to a baby is something, as a guy, I don't think that I can really understand.
    But it would have to be a terrible knowledge and feeling!!

Thankfully, the above article illustrates that our ever-advancing medical knowledge and expertise may make such devastating news a thing of the past!

An excerpt from the above article:

Researchers and doctors specified that only women with Uterine Factor Infertility would be considered for the procedure. While this could include women who have had a hysterectomy, fibroids or scarring, the procedure has also given new hope to a group of women with the rare genetic syndrome called Mayer-Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome, which affects 1 in 4,500 newborn girls, and is a disorder that affects the reproductive system and can cause the vagina and uterus to be underdeveloped or absent from birth.
    Women with MRKH syndrome have functioning ovaries, so they can potentially have children through in vitro fertilization and surrogacy.

“Women who are coping with UFI [uterine factor infertility] have few existing options,” Dr. Tommaso Falcone, an obstetrician-gynecologist and Cleveland Clinic Women’s Health Institute chairman, said in a statement last year. “Although adoption and surrogacy provide opportunities for parenthood, both pose logistical challenges and may not be acceptable due to personal, cultural or legal reasons.”

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  2. Cali Girl 510

Cali Girl 510 Well-Known Member

I hope that it is a success. There are so many people out there that are struggling to conceive a child.
    I have 2 nieces under 35 that can't have children for one reason or another. I have first hand knowledge on how devastating that news is especially for someone so young.

BurtMeister3000 and FossilHead like this.
  3. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Wow interesting find. Technology is really advancing at phenomenal speed. I wonder will this lead to more things down the line to benefit women trying to conceive. Is there a possible alippery slope to anything iffy or problematic?

BurtMeister3000 and FossilHead like this.
  4. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Since this is transplant-based, hopefully not.
    If they start using embryonic stem cells to create the new uterus to be transplanted, tho........yeah, I can see how that might cause problems, elicit vociferous complaints, etc

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.
  5. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

First Uterus Transplant in U.S. Has Failed
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/h...d-to-removal-of-transplanted-uterus.html?_r=0

Unfortunately, the transplanted uterus had to be removed because of a common yeast infection (Candida albicans).

"They said they were considering various options, like using antifungal medicines preventively and washing the tissues of both the donor and recipient to reduce the risk of infection" in the future. Also to be considered is the fact that all the successful uterine transplants, to this point, happened in Sweden, and were from living donors as opposed to the U.S. transplant which was from a cadaver.

Five of the nine transplant recipients in Sweden have given birth.

6. Tow1994

Tow1994 Well-Known Member

What I find oddly fascinating is the child basically having three parents....