1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Weights - How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, Dec 10, 2015.

1. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Recently after being badgered by one of my mates to go down the gym, I eventually caved and went, despite not lifting weights for years and being more boxing martial arts oriented. Anyway, we get down the gym and he tells me this is the way you have to do your sets, starting light to warm up with about 12 reps and then go heavy and then heavier still, so you can just about do 6 reps with your heaviest weight on your last set. I tried to explain to him the way I used to do my sets and he wouldn't have it and his way was the only way.

Well I went along with his method and I just couldn't get anywhere, I even acquired a shoulder injury that still doesn't feel quite right to this day.

So to the old method I learned from body building guides way back when I was a teenager were logical and progressive in a steady way and even though I didn't get massive from this method I definitely got stronger and moved up in weight quicker, with no injuries. Basically, it flipped my friends routine on its head, starting with the heaviest weight you can manage aiming for about 6 good reps. The next set, drop a kilo or two and bang the next set out this time aiming for 8 good quality reps. The final set the same again, drop a bit of weight and do your last set, aiming for 10 or so good reps.

Now this method to my mind isn't any easier than the previous method as you will still be lifting the same amount of weight as before, however, your mind will believe it is and for this simple reason. Every set you finish your going to be a little more tired each time, so dropping the weight kinda tricks your mind into thinking you can have a rest next set, which to a certain extent you do, but you still have more reps to do. Using your energy while you have it to get the hardest work out of the way, makes it more likely that you will finish your sets and finish them strongly, with good form!

When you feel you are smashing out the set with no bother, try instead of immediately jumping up in weight to do a few more reps, this way when you do move up, you should have less of a challenge adapting to the new weight, as well as I have experienced that sometimes I'm still not quite ready for the extra weight and it only proves detrimental to my form moving up too soon.

Its still always a good idea to warm up before doing your sets, and I always generally chose a large muscle group and a small one together, like back and biceps or chest and tri's etc to do together, normally leaving any small muscle group work till last as you will most likely have cooked these indirectly when targeting your bigger muscle group.

Also years back I read a book that suggested giving your body no more than a minute break in between sets (or when your breathing returns to normal), which gives a release of testosterone that will aid in your recovery and promote those strength and mass gains as well as making you more motivated and hornier.

I'm sure many will be familiar with this method, but in my experience many people were advocating the reverse of this, when it worked for me! Always listen to your body and maybe give this method a whirl if you have never tried it and feel like your workouts are a bit of a chore, it might work for you!

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    Lifeapprentice, Kitsune, Mebs and 2 others like this.
  2. MrSpock

MrSpock Active Member

Very helpful introduction BurtMeister3000, thank you for sharing!

I will be keeping an eye out for more tips! :Aha :

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  3. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Myself and my friend have a quite specific method to weightlifting, we basically do every set to failure and have always done it in this manner. Depending on what exercise we are doing, but typically we try to aim for 8 - 12 reps of an exercise and assist one another when we cannot do the reps by ourselves. It has worked great for us over the years as we are pretty strong as a result. We never spend more than 40 - 50 minutes in the gym, typically lifting quickly enough and not messing around too much. We mainly do chest day, back day, shoulder day, and legs day. For chest day we would do three sets of flat bench dumbbells, followed by 3 sets of incline dumbbells, and follow it up with callisthenics - pull-ups/push-ups combinations to failure as well. This is basically the same with all other days, dumbbell shoulder press day, deadlift day, squat day, all followed by the same callisthenics routine afterwards. All sets to failure, in the rep range of 6/7 - 12 reps.

I really like doing workouts to failure because you really feel the burn and push yourself to your body's limits during that set without doing really high rep ranges to get that 'big' hypertrophy look. We are both aiming for strength but not size as we are into cardio and sports, but also do not want huge frames for aesthetic reasons also. We have both made good progress in strength increases, stamina increases, and recovery benefits from working out like this. It has been largely conducive to our workouts and I don't think I would go back to other methods again. I have been lifting for 12 years or so and have tried pretty much every type of routine under the sun, and while other routines are better for size-building, I believe this routine is the best for what I want - stamina, fitness, strength, and aesthetics in one!

4. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

A very typical bodybuilding routine, while still retaining some emphasis on adding strength.
    The method you learned is what we used to refer to as "reverse drop sets" and we did it to 'shock' our body when we had reached a plateau doing our normal workouts. However, it would be something that I imagine people would do who are less interested in size, and more interested in performance.

Does anyone here remember the old Cybergenics routine, from back in the 80's?
    Very similar to the drop sets you refer to, but going down in weight as well as reps.

(Any current or former weightlifters here......?)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  5. BurtMeister3000

Don't remember the Cybergenics routine, but the name sounds familiar.

I am definitely more interested in strength than size just for the sake of it, as we age our metabolism slows and we will naturally get heavier and bigger (and rounder). No need to rush the weight gain for me, I want to keep it off to be as fast as possible. I like to box so, strength = good, bulk = bad.

Mebs and FossilHead like this.
  6. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

I never lifted weights but did some calisthenic and am about to get going again.
    How often do you guys work the same muscle groups per week?
    Mebs do you do push ups and pull ups everyday or do your perform calisthenic exercises which target the muscle group you're working on on a particular day?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  7. BurtMeister3000

I don't tend to do any weights as such any more, I do mostly cardio and boxing, as well as some body weight exercises for strength:- Push ups, pull ups, etc.

Mebs and Lifeapprentice like this.
  8. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

I am striving to get back into my routine, after a quite long break from any type of training.
    I have utilized many different programs/routines over the years, depending upon my goals at the time.

One that I have used often is a 6 on/1 off, with 3 days of weight training and 3 days of cardio.

I think the forum should start a self-improvement contest of some sort, especially considering how shortly after the start of the new year it still is........
    (Bodyfat reduction, muscle gain, strength increase, etc, etc, etc)

MrSpock, Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  9. BurtMeister3000

Good call on the contest, friendly competition may be good?

We will have an area for logs/diary at some point, that will include fitness, diet and PE as well as anything else that counts as self improvement. My original plan was to do it in a calendar format, that we could paste links/vids/pics etc in the various date sections and click on them for a full detailed description of what we did on that day, but I'm struggling to find a calender that fits the bill.

Mebs, MrSpock and FossilHead like this.
  10. Lifeapprentice

Lifeapprentice Well-Known Member

The calendar idea is nice!

What do you mean by friendly competition?!
    Just afraid of me kicking your arse for good right?

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.