1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
The Plan of Attack

Feel free to join in the chat now!

Click the reply button at the bottom of discussions to comment!

Weights - How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness, and Diet' started by BurtMeister3000, Dec 10, 2015.

1. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Yes, definitely beneficial, and also serves to keep one focused, on-track, "honest," etc.

[Plus I will take any additional motivation that I can get in order to get my fat, out-of-shape a$$ back into the gym so I can be "beach-ready" by May, lol]

BurtMeister3000 and Mebs like this.
  2. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Awesome idea on the self-improvement competition Fossil! I set myself a goal in January 2015 - down to 90 kg. I was 113 kg then, and am now currently sitting around the 95 kg mark. Not too bad, but still got some more to go. I want to get a lot fitter more than anything and possibly get a fight or two in a few months time. My true love is Muay Thai but there are no Muay Thai gyms where I have moved to since today (had to move back home because of finances). However, there is a MMA and Brazilian jiu-jitsu gym in my town, which I will join.

Life Apprentice - I don't really do weights any more, I have just gotten really sick of regular gyms for a long time now, been going to them for 15 years and I am pretty much done with them now. I just concentrate on own-body-weight exercises anyway when I do go. I do pull-ups/push-ups combinations every second day usually. So I will do my fighting training three days a week, and that pull-up/push-up routine 2 days a week. When I am feeling energetic I will go for a run on a sixth day, but these have been rare enough lately.

In regards weightlifting - I would never work a muscle group two days in a row, you are just way too fatigued and it needs to recover. It all depends on how hard I hit a muscle group. When we were doing big chest days, you really wouldn't be able to hit it again for around 2-3 days afterwards. If you are doing single muscle group days, it will be hard to hit them more than once, twice max a week. If you are doing mult-muscle groups in your workout you can do it more often. If you do a half-chest, half-back day for example, you would be able to do it every second day (3 days a week e.g.) no problem once the initial first week DOMS fade out.

It is all about goals really, if you want to get big (but not necessarily care about strength), whether you want to get strong (but don't necessarily care about size), or if you are training for a sport or event, is all how you should adjust your routine around. At the moment, my main concern is getting fighting-fit, be lean and fast, not bulky and slow (similar to what Burty said). So it all depends. I think we have a good variety of fitness goals and aims on the site, so that is awesome to see :)

3. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

Regarding the "contest" and thinking about it from the perspective of an overall physical conditioning and improvement angle (my bias!)---- and if the forum does choose at some point to initiate such a thing---- is anyone familiar with the Body for Life Challenge from back in the mid-90's, onward?

Not that I am suggesting we would have to be as stringent as they were, but their criteria and judging seemed to be reasonable, with varying percentages awarded for overall change/improvement as evidenced by Before and After photos; an essay; maintaining a log of the use of their products and routines; and so on.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.......

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  4. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

That sounds pretty good! Might be motivational to see others successes.

Don't remember the Body for life challenge exactly, I remember the name, but don't remember the program itself.

Mebs likes this.
  5. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Will have to look up The Body of Life. Will have to get strict on the diet (just ate a massive Indian...meal! Get your mind out of the gutter Fossil!). I have a pic of me at 113 kg I think with top off pics cos was intending on getting in shape.

BurtMeister3000 and FossilHead like this.
  6. FossilHead

FossilHead Staff Member

lol, my mind has been in the gutter too long to change, now!

Yeah, man, I am dreading that "Before" picture, but I know that I have to take it, and I also know that it will be impetus for me to do what I need to do.
    Plus that "After" pic is always more impressive when one can lie it down next to the one taken upon starting!

Mebs and BurtMeister3000 like this.
  7. BurtMeister3000

BurtMeister3000 Staff Member

Ooh, curry:woot:

Well it is St Valentines weekend, may as well treat the Mrs ;)

Mebs likes this.
  8. Mebs

Mebs Active Member

Haha exactly Burty,both of us got stuffed with food,can barely move now.

Oh tell me about it Fossil! Some of my clothes look ridiculous on me now because of the weight loss. Looking at pictures of myself a year ago are cringey! Good motivation though.

BurtMeister3000 likes this.
  9. Master-gauge

Master-gauge Well-Known Member

U guys sound like u are talking about the Heavy Duty training that one of Arnold's rivals back in the 70's use to do with the reps to failure.. Mike Mentzer... https://www.mikementzer.com/

Personally for me powerlifting, that was ALL that was done in a training session, there where no other real body building type work.. Start with benching, squats, then deadlift towards a competition, in place of the Deadlift time at the first... I would do Tricep Dips on the bars, and "heavy ass" shrugs in the rack.. 3 Days a week...

We use to start the season lower in weights: 3 sets 10's, with a warm up and cool down set for 1 month.. Then drop to 8 reps a set for month 2, month 3... seen 6 reps, month 4... seen 3 reps (this is where shit was gettin' heavy!!!) And the last month 5, was singles to gauge strength for the competition in month 6... I only did 2 comp's a year as with most guys in the sport..

I have dabbled into the other typical BB'ing type training, keep the set ranges from 8 to 12... Now I think I would like to add a simple Cross fit to the resume...

BurtMeister3000 likes this.